Anything special needed to keep live rock 'alive'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm gradually replacing my crushed coral substrate with sand and placing some live rock in my tank (also gradual).

Is there anything I need to be aware of as far as chemical parameters, lighting, etc. to make sure my live rock and sand stay 'live' and beneficial for my tank?

I'm running a normal 2 tube fluorescent strip - 1 bulb 10,000 K and the other actinic. Tank is 75 gallons.

I'd like to try some corals and things down the road and assume I will need to upgrade my lighting to do that. But for now with just the live rock (and any critters that might hitchhike), is what I have sufficient? How far can I push this lighting before I *have* to upgrade?

Thanks for any help!

Just ensure proper water parameters and temp and the benefical bacteria on the LR will be fine. Lighting does not really play a role. Down the road if you are interested in corals then a lighting up will be needed.

I agree with Mike. Are you getting fully cured LR from a LFS or are you getting it shipped? You can also add base rock to help save you some money.

Back
Top Bottom