aptasia in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have found 3 of these things in my sump, pulled them out when I trimed the chaeto(they are intertwined in the chaeto) I haven't seen any in the dt. Will they hurt anything in the sump? I know they are bad news, but since there is nothing but some rock and macro there, I didn't figure they would be a real problem. They showed up after I got some chaeto from a guy, never saw a single one before, and have been there ever since.

from what i hear never ever try to pull off an aptasia. they reproduce asexually by budding and pulling them off will only cause more to appear. They dont really hurt anything but can reach plague proportions. Try injecting them with vinegar via hypodermic syringe. I got a hypo for free at a walgreens

I didn't know if they would be a problem in the sump. I have spoinges over both of my return pumps so I wouldn't think any would make it to the DT. If I saw one in the DT, I would have took care of it but since it's in the sump, I'll leave it and only kill if they become a problem.

Aiptasia are some of the best filtration critters!

Anthony Calfo mentioned it when he had a talk in Australia.

My sump has them. No problems here.

If you are worried get some peppermint shrimp or use some vinegar and squirt directly into its mouth to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom