Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

AquaC or Aqua Medic skimmer?

Think I just cracked my Red Sea Berlin Classic that I've been using on a 90 gallon FO tank (recently converted to FOWLR) for the past 8 years. Like an idiot, I tightened the exhaust fittings too tight & now I have hairline cracks on the body.
Since my sump is compartmentized, I've always had very few choices for skimmers. In sump is not possible & the pump itself (Rio 2500) had to be within a certain size.
After searching this site, I think I'm down to 2 skimmers. Either the AquaC EV-120 or the Aqua Medic TurboFloater 1000. Any one with pros & cons regarding theses two models?
How important is a water level adjustment as I have no idea due to the Berlin being self leveling. I know that you have to play with the EV to get the "sweet spot", does the TurboFloater have a water level adjustment or is it self leveling. (Do I even want self leveling or level adjustment to control the skimmate or foam?)
Besides price factor ($299, no pump vs $239, w/pump), which do members prefer?
TIA

Old 03-22-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not sure about the two you mentioned but I have a aqua c remora pro and love it. Easy to use, no touchy adjusting, skims awesome. I bought it to replace my red sea prizm skimmer and there is no comparison. It skims more in one week than my prizm ever skimmed. Good luck.

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
cj10488

AquaC EV series will just kick any other skimmer out of the water besides the EuroReef which I feel is a pretty close match... I would choose the AquaC over any other Skimmer.. I currently run an EV180 on my 55g tank and man does that work awesome.. FWIW Darin over at captiveReefs.com should be able to hook you up for the going rate on the Ev120 plus i believe we all get 6% off of any non sale Item.. Darin is an awesome man with awesome service..

HTH<
James
Old 03-23-2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks bizzey & James for the responses. I just emailed AquaC to see if I can run the EV 180 with my Rio 2500. They recommend a Rio 3100 or a MAG 7, but the MAG 7 is only rated @ 700 gph, where as my Rio 2500 is 748 gph.
I rather go up one size from the EV 120 if I can without spending more money for a pump.
James, what size pump are you running your EV 180? Also saw you over on the clam forum. Sorry about the Crocea that you lost, how are the other three doing?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
cj10488

Quote:
James, what size pump are you running your EV 180
I am running a mag 7 on my Ev180.. I think that it would work ok with the Rio2500 It wont skim as effectivly as the mag 7 or rio 3100... The reason for the higher GPH rio is they are kinda under rated and loose alot of umphhh at head.. I would say Order the EV180 from Darin Over at Captivereefs.com and try it for a while with the rio 2500 and if you dont like it you could always get the mag7 at a later date.. Aquac will tell you that it will hamper performance of the skimmer but it still should work.. What size is your tank?? I found out my ev180 only works every so often because it is Wayyyyyyyy over rated for my 55g LOL.. When i first hooked it up man it pulled stuff out of there that I didnt even know was in there.. LOL

Quote:
Also saw you over on the clam forum. Sorry about the Crocea that you lost, how are the other three doing?
You mean the other 4 LOL.. They are all doing awesome.. No problems at all. They all look absolutely awesome now..

HTH<
James
Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a 90 gallon tank and sorry about the comment on the Crocea, must have been another member's casualty. Glad that your clammies are doing well. Are you doing any supplemental feeding with DT or Koralvite F?
Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
cj10488

Quote:
Glad that your clammies are doing well. Are you doing any supplemental feeding with DT or Koralvite F?
well one of the clams did die.. It probably was me.. As for feeding they are all 4-4.5" I every once in a blue moon add marine snow and freeze dried phyto to the tank.. but thats only when I think about it LOL...

James

Tags
aquac, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com