Aquarium cover?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I put a glass cover over the aquarium? Some opinions say it messes with the light spectrum, some say it doesn't matter... What's the deal?

I mean, it seems like it would be an advantage to have a cover instead of open... No jumpers, less evaporating, keeps dust debris out more... How come there are so many open top aquariums? Is there a benefit for leaving a cover off?

Yes the gas Exchange is the main reason for an open top it effects the PH

Ohhh... That makes sense, now we're getting somewhere! So, surface agitation also helps the gas exchange, no? So if I increase agitation, and put a top on, would they essentially cancel each other out to a normal level of gas exchange?

The tank is 13" deep, and has a center brace across the top in the middle. I was going to have 2 pieces of glass cut because it is technically 2 sections. Was going to leave about 3" open in the back to allow room for filter, skimmer, cords, etc... So all in all about 75% of the top will be covered

That should be a problem then if there's surface agitation but if there is a small fan will solve that problem just blowing into the opening

Ok so you DON'T want evaporative gases re-entering the system? Did I interpret that correctly?

It's more that u want oxygen to get to the surface Then evaporation to escape but takes one for the other I guess lol

I mean, it will be a big opening... 3" going down all 48" of length of the tank...?

Ok thanks a lot! What water test should I be keeping a close eye on to see if the top has to go??

Benamayer said:
Ok thanks a lot! What water test should I be keeping a close eye on to see if the top has to go??

May i suggest a screen top? It will solve all the problems related to glass tops and still keep your fish it. It lets all light through and all gas. Bulkreefsupply sells supplies to make your own screen tops, i believe its much cheaper also. The better way to cover your tank for saltwater.

Benamayer said:
Nice! Does the saltwater beat the screen up pretty bad?

Nope, no reason it would. They sells a few different size screen and its a clear screen as well. Best option i have seen for saltwater, especially reef tanks.

The tank is 13" deep, and has a center brace across the top in the middle. I was going to have 2 pieces of glass cut because it is technically 2 sections. Was going to leave about 3" open in the back to allow room for filter, skimmer, cords, etc... So all in all about 75% of the top will be covered

If you have 3" open in the back, the jumpers will find their way out. So if you are looking for a solution to keep jumpers in, this isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom