Aquarium on 2nd Story Floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawyer_Peyton18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I am 14 and I am going to start a fowlr tank. Right now I have a 55 gallon aquarium. I have read the bigger the tank the more stable it would be. If I decided to go bigger can a 150 gallon aquarium be placed in my upstairs bedroom. My house is only five years old And my parents will not let me place my aquarium in the living room. What do you guys think, can I go 150 gallons or should I keep the 55 gallons?

I would stick with the 55. And try to distribute it horizontal to floor joist and not parallel. Unfortunately (most) newer houses use weaker joist than older ones to save money. I-joist are NOT suitable for a 150g unless you can get pops to reinforce floor- (good luck with that) :)

I would stay with what you have, that's a lot of weight in a small footprint. If you go bigger, go longer so you catch more joist not taller or wider

Ok I am going to keep the 55. But to save on excess weight I won't have a sump. Will the tank have enough filtration with a high quality hob protein skimmer, 70lbs of live rock, 2 power heads for circulation, and 60lbs of live sand.

I don't have a tank yet I plan on setting one up in the future. Do I need to add an extra filter I have heard they are nitrate factories?

Most insurance companies don't cover tanks on anything above the ground floor, in the event they suffer a leak or other catastrophic failure (pump failure, overflow, etc).

If you are hell bent on putting a tank up there, make sure to run it perpendicular to the floor joists to spread the load.

If your gonna go HOB route I would use atleast a pair of 110's. Your liverock will help out as well but water changes, skimmer, and filtration will eliminate bad prams as well as a good clean up crew.

Just to be clear is this all the filtration I need:

H.O.B. Protein Skimmer (2x aquarium capacity)
60lbs. Live Rock
60lbs. Live Sand
2 Power Heads for Circulation

You really need a filter or filters. A skimmer is good and so is liverock but your only using half the liverock you could ( and if on 2nd story in residential house I would to) also a new tank, would definitely acquire a few HOB filters. You could go canister/HOB, as well, mix and match or whatever till your prams stabilize or whatever combo you need to accommodate whatever you plan to house.

In all reality, you can run a HOB filter, but it actually isn't totally necessary. The Berlin method of filtration relies solely on a large skimmer, live rock, sand, and good water circulation. The strong water circulation will ensure uneaten food/poop don't settle and are removed via protein skimming...before the nitrification cycle can begin...but following the 1-1.5lbs of rock per gallon concept will then assist with what the skimmer doesn't get.

I would suggest a couple 110's, IMO best HOB filters. Good luck and keep us updated!

I don't think you need a filter at all, I run a 55g reef Berlin style no dramas. Weekly water changes keep my parameters in check, I use 3 power heads and a skimmer...

Agreed on the skimmer over a filter ideas. If you are going without a sump, there are HOBs out there. I've heard they are often not as efficient as the sump versions, but I still feel that if they are skimming, they are helping.

Good Luck with your 55! I'm 15 and recently set up a 10 gal FOWLR since it's the biggest thing I could get. I have had it for 5 months now and it is great!

Okay I have changed my mind. I am going for a freshwater system. It will be easier on me since I'm 14 and I do not have tons of income. Do you think I made the wrong choice? I chose fresh because I want to be sure I can give the fish the care they need!?

This does not mean I am giving up because I still plan on being a marine biologist when I get older!?

Back
Top Bottom