Aquascaping Directions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marquesalan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have searched all over. Can anyone give me some good step-by-step instructions on how to aquascape my saltwater tank with live rock? I have heard to use PVC pipe to stand the rocks off the flooring and epoxy to join the rocks together. Is there anything else I should know about stacking the rocks. I have one super large piece I am not sure if I should break into two.

I debated this as well. I found that when I bought more rocks it was easier to fit them together because I had more options mine are just sitting on top of each other. I did break one of my medium rocks into 3 pieces since I just couldn't figure out how to place it in the tank. I have 1 super large piece as well that made for a good base to rest a shelf type piece on top of for a swim threw area.

You can certainly use PVC to hold you rock work. I just have mine stacked. There is a little trick to it and it can take you some time to get it the way you want it. The best advice I can offer is have someone help you and just play with it until you get the rock work to fit together the way you like it.

just stack your rocks and make sure they are sturdy.. lay the rock formation down before you put the sand down, and then put the sand in after. the reason for this is because if anything digs underneath the rocks it wont fall and your "thing" wont get crushed.

That is a good tip, however if you don't want to cover up a large portion of your LR you can cut pieces of PVC pipe (2" 3" 4" pipe) in sections that are say 2" - 3" tall and use them as a base to put your LR on and then put your sand in. This keeps most of your LR out of the sand but puts it on a firm base and keeps you from having rock slides which can break glass.

I just firmly stacked mine. I have mine also on the back glass so as to force the fish to swim out front so we can see them alot.

Aquascaping Addition

I should explain. I have had a 72 gallon tank for about 4 years. I only have 45 lbs of rock. I ordered another 45 lbs. The existing rock is just sitting on the bottom of the tank right now and stacked. I want to make it more sculptured with caves and crevices for fish to establish their territories. We can see the fish right now but I think they are stressed out because they don't have that many places to hide. I can still add the PVC pipes now, right? I just want to rearrange the tank and create a new home. I have a maroon clownfish, yellow tang, falcula butterfly, chocolate starfish and 4 snails. Should I remove the inhabitants to another tank while I aquascape? I don't want them stressing out.
Thank you everyone for your quick responses.

I would only be worried about crushing the snails. With mine I got my 4 main rocks on the bottom and then found a way to position the shelf type pieces. I rearranged the top pieces several times. And after I got a sump to get some equipment out of my tank it gave me more room to rearrange again, its all trial and error.

Is the new rock cured already? Or is it dry base rock with nothing on it to die off? Just curious because if you're adding that much new rock that is neither cured or dry then you're going to see another cycle. That more than anything might determine whether you move your fish out or not.

The new rocks are curing right now in a separate container. I was going to add the new rock slowly.

I cured some Caribbean rock I had for a little over a week and scrubbed it down good. I still had a lot of die off inside of my tank that didn't scrub off (nasty stuff) Depending on what your rocks are like. The curing process could take as long as cycling a fish tank. I got excited and added my rock probably before I should have. Fish did ok and didn't see a cycle in my main tank. I would suggest testing your containers parameters you are curing your rocks in every 2 days to monitor the cycle to get an idea for when the rocks are cured. Once cured and a scrub down to remove die-off you should be able to add all of the new rocks at once that way you can play around with your rock placement to get it to work.

I recently ordered some Lalo rock from the good Drs. I cured in a separate container and monitored NH3 and NO2 like fijiwigi states above. It took almost 4 weeks for the rock to fully cure.

I am planning on using a dremmel to cut up some of my base rock, to make caves, ledges and towers.

I just did what you are wanting to do other than my rock came from and established tank directly to mine. I made up water for a 30% water change and pumped out that same amount of water. I took all the rock out of the tank and put it in the water I just took out. I moved my fish to the sump. Then I took both the new rock and old rock and stacked it. After I got it like I wanted it I added the new water and the fish. I did have to go back the next day and move a couple pieces around.

Also you can add all the new rock at one time if you make sure it is cured well and clean. Make sure you are doing water changes often and check the ammonia level in the tub you have the rock curing in. Once ammonia reaches 0 you should be able to add it to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom