Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to marquesalan Send a message via Yahoo to marquesalan
Aquascaping Directions

I have searched all over. Can anyone give me some good step-by-step instructions on how to aquascape my saltwater tank with live rock? I have heard to use PVC pipe to stand the rocks off the flooring and epoxy to join the rocks together. Is there anything else I should know about stacking the rocks. I have one super large piece I am not sure if I should break into two.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I debated this as well. I found that when I bought more rocks it was easier to fit them together because I had more options mine are just sitting on top of each other. I did break one of my medium rocks into 3 pieces since I just couldn't figure out how to place it in the tank. I have 1 super large piece as well that made for a good base to rest a shelf type piece on top of for a swim threw area.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can certainly use PVC to hold you rock work. I just have mine stacked. There is a little trick to it and it can take you some time to get it the way you want it. The best advice I can offer is have someone help you and just play with it until you get the rock work to fit together the way you like it.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

just stack your rocks and make sure they are sturdy.. lay the rock formation down before you put the sand down, and then put the sand in after. the reason for this is because if anything digs underneath the rocks it wont fall and your "thing" wont get crushed.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is a good tip, however if you don't want to cover up a large portion of your LR you can cut pieces of PVC pipe (2" 3" 4" pipe) in sections that are say 2" - 3" tall and use them as a base to put your LR on and then put your sand in. This keeps most of your LR out of the sand but puts it on a firm base and keeps you from having rock slides which can break glass.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just firmly stacked mine. I have mine also on the back glass so as to force the fish to swim out front so we can see them alot.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #7

Aquascaping Addition

I should explain. I have had a 72 gallon tank for about 4 years. I only have 45 lbs of rock. I ordered another 45 lbs. The existing rock is just sitting on the bottom of the tank right now and stacked. I want to make it more sculptured with caves and crevices for fish to establish their territories. We can see the fish right now but I think they are stressed out because they don't have that many places to hide. I can still add the PVC pipes now, right? I just want to rearrange the tank and create a new home. I have a maroon clownfish, yellow tang, falcula butterfly, chocolate starfish and 4 snails. Should I remove the inhabitants to another tank while I aquascape? I don't want them stressing out.
Thank you everyone for your quick responses.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would only be worried about crushing the snails. With mine I got my 4 main rocks on the bottom and then found a way to position the shelf type pieces. I rearranged the top pieces several times. And after I got a sump to get some equipment out of my tank it gave me more room to rearrange again, its all trial and error.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is the new rock cured already? Or is it dry base rock with nothing on it to die off? Just curious because if you're adding that much new rock that is neither cured or dry then you're going to see another cycle. That more than anything might determine whether you move your fish out or not.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #10

The new rocks are curing right now in a separate container. I was going to add the new rock slowly.

Tags
api, aquascaping, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com