Aquascaping for a fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryn_C_mu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Honking of just putting in stuff grin my local pet store but trying to get ideas for what to put in it that's not living besides the fish of corse so any help would be much appreciated and pictures would be awesome too just to give me any ideas thanks again!!

Besides just putting stuff in from my local pet store sorry

If you're doing FOWLR how about some macro algaes in the tank to help provide some color and break up the rock scape a bit?

They are basically different types of seaweed that will grow. They all have varying degrees of difficulty with some being edible and others not.

A few examples:
blueballmacro.jpg

martianmacro.jpg

halimeda.jpg

Those are pretty cool but I would need live rock for those though what could I put in if I didn't have live rock

You're going to want live rock. It is your friend and the main source of filtration in a sw tank. Why don't you want it?

They are basically different types of seaweed that will grow. They all have varying degrees of difficulty with some being edible and others not.

A few examples:

Do you know what that second one is called mebbid? I've never seen it before.

I get my tank on Thursday so nothing is in it yet but the thing is it's a "birthday present" so I don't know what filtration I will have with it but that's not saying I can change out filters or stuff like that so is there any corals that don't need live rock to live

I get my tank on Thursday so nothing is in it yet but the thing is it's a "birthday present" so I don't know what filtration I will have with it but that's not saying I can change out filters or stuff like that so is there any corals that don't need live rock to live

The live rock is an anchoring place for corals, they don't "need" it to live aside from the filtration involved. If your new tank doesn't have any then I would highly suggest buying at least 20 lbs of dry rock from bulk reef supply and then doing a fishless cycle from there. The engineer goby or snowflake eel you have your heart set on will need some live rock.

Ok well I was planning on having some for filtration and like you had said so reef rock from a company called Caribsea I think?... Ok I get it that I might be persistent on the eels but I love those things any serpent really so sorry but that's my preference haha

Ok well I was planning on having some for filtration and like you had said so reef rock from a company called Caribsea I think?... Ok I get it that I might be persistent on the eels but I love those things any serpent really so sorry but that's my preference haha

I understand completely :) I will have 1 or 2 engineer gobies of my own next month when my 40g is set up because I absolutely love eels :)

We are kinda in the same boat with our tanks which is cool

Haha we r kinda in the same place with our tanks haha

Haha cool are they peaceful?

From everything I understand, yes they are. But they can eat small inverts so we will see about how they do. At the very worst I wont keep any shrimp and will have to refresh my cleanup crew every once in a while.

That's my next question what should u do for a clean up crew if the eel or the goby eats it

They are basically different types of seaweed that will grow. They all have varying degrees of difficulty with some being edible and others not. A few examples:
what kind of light do those macro algae require ?

Back
Top Bottom