Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya know, I haven't taken the first pic. That's unusual for me, but things have been crazy, and I'm afraid that got put to the bottom of the list. I'm lucky the tank cycled. I will try to get some soon and post them. It really is a pretty tank.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went out to buy my first critters today. A cleaner shrimp and a Midas Blenny. At the shop, they showed me the Blenny's head sticking out of a large rock, but they couldn't get him to come out. They tried feeding. All the other fish in that tank liked that. But not the Blenny. They tried vibrating the rock. No Blenny. They shook it, turned it over and over. No Blenny. They finally got a used salt bucket, filled it halfway with water, put in the rock, charged me $50 for a Blenny I can't see, and sent me home. I acclimated the rock (since I can't verify there's a fish in there), fed the rock, emptied 3/4 of the water and gave the rock a little shake, put it back in the bucket, slowly refilled it with tank water, put a heater in it and a dark cover over it, and there the bucket sits. Any ideas? Fifty dollars is a lot to spend for a rock and a well used salt bucket. And yes, I did call them and they said to give it more time. He's in there (?)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, 5 hours have passed. The temperature of the water is about 77 degrees. I added an airstone. So far, 9 hours after I bought a Blenny, there's still no Blenny. I am very disappointed. Tomorrow we will go back to the shop, an hour each way, give them the rock and bucket, and get my $50 back. The receipt says "no guarantee on livestock", but since I can't confirm I ever had any, I WILL get my money back. Even if he is in there, he'd be so stressed he's sure to get sick. And he was the last they had in the shop. 😢😩

Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #94
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't use an airstone. It'll create salt creep and salinity issues. Salt can even fall back into the tank and burn fish and gills.
Good luck with that return.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I don't use an airstone, won't I have water with no oxygen? If he's there, won't it kill him?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #96
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You want to use powerheads over airstones because of this. It isn't as big of a deal getting oxygen in as it is about getting the co2 out.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, I got it. I just dropped some food in there...no Blenny. I did take out the airstone as suggested. We will leave in about an hour to make the trek to the shop. I hope they give me no trouble, as this is the biggest store in a 200 mile radius and I'd hate to have bad feelings about going there. Do you agree that even if they can get a missing Blenny from the rock that I shouldn't take him because all the stress may make him sick, or he could die?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We're on our way to the store. Can you put 3 Blue Green Chromis in a newly cycled tank at one time? There's going to be nothing else added until April because my husband is having another surgery on 3/30. Appreciate an answer to this and the last post before I get to the shop. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

New FOWLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
OK, I got it. I just dropped some food in there...no Blenny. I did take out the airstone as suggested. We will leave in about an hour to make the trek to the shop. I hope they give me no trouble, as this is the biggest store in a 200 mile radius and I'd hate to have bad feelings about going there. Do you agree that even if they can get a missing Blenny from the rock that I shouldn't take him because all the stress may make him sick, or he could die?

So they sold you a rock and said there was a blenny hiding in it? Did you put this rock in your tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
We're on our way to the store. Can you put 3 Blue Green Chromis in a newly cycled tank at one time? There's going to be nothing else added until April because my husband is having another surgery on 3/30. Appreciate an answer to this and the last post before I get to the shop. Thanks.

What size tank? Chromis usually don't school (most times one kills the others) so I personally would stick to just one, but jmo.

Edit: in a brand new 40, 3 fish may be pushing it at once

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When we first got to the store, we saw a little head sticking out of the rock. Never saw him again. She shook and vibrated and twirled the rock and decided I should take it home and the fish would come out. That was 3 pm yesterday.
The tank is a 40g breeder. I didn't know Chromis would kill each other.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com