AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, Pajamas. I have one in the reef tank. They are beautiful and graceful. They're supposed to be nocturnal, but mine is out all the time.
Know anything about Bangiis? Wonder if you can keep more than one together? On LiveAquaria, I saw ringtail cardinals in trios. Never even heard of them. I guess cardinal fish will be a good choice. I have lots of options I didn't know I had.:fish1:

Well, update on the tank, and it's not good. I have read many articles and forums, and the tank is suffering from golden brown cyano, maybe mixed with diatoms, or as Sniperhank originally suggested, Dinos. I mostly have stringy stuff on the lower rocks, closer to the sand, and all the sand is covered in brown, although only certain areas have the stringy stuff. I have scrubbed those rocks, but the stuff just comes back. I did a 6 gallon water change, very gently sucking up what I could and turkey basted what came off. I also use a small net to collect what floats to the top and is against the side of the tank. In case it was Cyano, I dosed UltraSlime two days in a row. The skimmer went crazy, and a lot came off. The next morning it was back. One forum suggested hydrogen peroxide would wipe it out, at least most of it. I need some advice here. No sence sending a picture as I just cleaned up the tank. By the way, the higher rocks are getting some algae and coralline. Getting really pretty. Ok, anything anyone can suggest?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

banjiis are best kept in small schools I had 6 2m 4f loved them , but it limited my stock in a 40b

the blue/green chromis do best in schools of 6 or more 2 males per every 4 females otherwise they will kill each other off

I love my sea chromis they are dark blue and grow up to 6 inches I have a school of 4

I have kept a coral beauty in a 40b it works because of the foot print of the tank

avoid damsels at all costs they are just out right demons

I find lunar wrasse are a little less aggressive than the flasher

Hydrogen peroxide is a nasty killer. I use it to kill algae off of frags and such. I don't think I'd try to use it for this battle, but in all honesty I'm out of ideas at this moment besides trying to starve it out.

Thanks, Seaweed. I think I've pretty much got my stocking list done, and since all the Chromis mysteriously died, I won't be trying them again. Decided against Bangiis for just the reason you mentioned. They limit the residents of the tank.
Hi, Sniperhank. I took a nap and when I got up, the rocks were stringy again. The sand looks the same as t did when I laid down, so it's not stringy...yet. I wasn't able to get it all off the sand. Does it sound more like Dinos now, or would you consider it cyano/diatoms? I've never had Dinos, so I don't know how to handle it. Another forum discussed getting rid of them with the hydrogen peroxide. I don't even know if that's what I've got. I can deal with cyano. And doesn't the peroxide kinda get into the rocks and sand? Would it poison the tank for a period of time?

I wouldn't add peroxide directly into tank , if anything I'd use it as a dip/bath , than a clean saltwater dip before adding back in tank

Ok....how do I get the stuff off my sand, rocks, glass, etc? Remember, I only have a cleaner shrimp in there which can be moved. I am growing some green algae on one rock and a little coralline. I know I would lose that and be starting from scratch.

Woke up this morning to a slightly better tank. Only one rock has inches long stringy stuff and a couple of places with shorter strings on the sand. I'm going to gently scrub all the rocks and change 10-20% of water today. If it is Dinos, it must not be the toxic version because the shrimp is thriving. Any opinions as to whether to add snails or anything else to the tank? I will not be adding fish until June because we are going to Alaska for approx. 3 weeks. It will be hard enough for my daughter to handle all my other critters. Not leaving until 5/23 so I have time to get the tank cleaned up (I hope).

Cleaned the tank. Scrubbed off the rocks and vacuumed the gunk off the sand but I can't do that anymore because I'm losing too much sand. I found green algae on the glass. Was thrilled to see it because I need grazing material for the critters I will add later. Next time I do a water change, I will use a fork to sweep the sand. Skimmer has just now kicked on. Water is already getting clearer. Anything I could put in the tank to try to keep this stuff under control while I'm gone? Since we're not absolutely sure what it is, trying to decide what I might put in there is difficult. What eats Cyano and Dinos (just in case)?

Hello again, everyone. I've been reading this and other forums. You guys said don't dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide, which I won't. I have read that Dinos eat up the trace elements in the salt. They recommend only topping off the tank with ro/di water, use no salt water, so obviously do not clean the tank. Also lights out.
In case you're wondering, this could be Dinos or cyano with diatoms. When I used the ultra slime, it really did nothing. I scrub the rocks, walls, heaters and powerheads daily. Long strings come off which I net out. The stuff is golden brown with little bubbles on the rocks which float to the top occasionally. No bubbles on the sand, just gold powder with some darker areas that contain strings as well. Unknown what to do now. Would like some opinions or advice. Please. All my time is spent researching this. I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks, PB. If I understand correctly, raising the pH MAY do the trick, depending on what type of Dinos I have. Went to Amazon and found Seachem Kalkwasser. I've never used anything like this, just baking soda to up my alk one time. With all the dangers attached to this product, is it worth the use? I know a lot of people have said they use it, but they have pumps or something and they use it for CA. Since I have nothing in the tank but a cleaner shrimp, it won't be caustic to the tank. But exactly how do I go about dosing to achieve a higher pH?

Oh, and I forgot something. When I was working on the tank a few minutes ago, I noticed several nickel sized spots of red on my sand and some green algae on the glass and a little on a couple of rocks. Does that change anything?

Back
Top Bottom