Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I put the three Chromis and one cleaner shrimp in the tank on 3/13. How long should I wait to add a couple more?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It appears that I am losing a Chromis. He didn't come out to eat, and when he finally came out of the rock work, he was barely making it around and his body color had changed to a blue gray. He almost sat on the sand before he went back into the rocks. He was not panting, nor were his gills red. I have never seen him bullied, as they would mostly swim together. If he dies in the rock, I'll have a real problem getting him out. I have 40 lbs cemented together. I don't see him in any of the caves or tunnels. When he came out, the others did pick at him, but I've seen that happen to a sick or dead fish.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about you fish it out now before causing a problem later on? If he's that bad... Maybe? Saves another problem

Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Chromis died. He was in the edge of the rock, so I was able to get him out. I'm watching the other two carefully. Thanks for responding.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice FINatic

BigRed warned me about Chromis killing off one another, so I'm watching the last two. If it happens again, no more Chromis. Will have to redo my stocking list. It will be really short without them. Want "different" fish. Have to think about it.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sorry about the loss, sounds like stress but may not necessarily be from bullying, could just be the stress from tank transfers. Do you know the salinity of the water they came from the lfs was by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, I asked. 1.024. Mine is the same. I acclimated for about an hour and did a gentle release with no tank lights. Turned them on after actinics would normally be on, and fed the following morning. Nothing else in the tank but a cleaner shrimp. I am having trouble keeping the temperature stable but only by a degree and a half either way. I noticed another disturbing thing today. Neither of the remaining two are swimming around freely. They are both hiding in the rocks in the back of the tank. I just fed frozen mysis soaked in Vita-Chem and they did feed well, but only when the mysis was blown near the back of the tank.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since I lost my Chromis, the others have taken up residence in the rocks so the only time I even know they're there, is when I feed frozen before actinics come on for the night. They do not come out for morning feedings of flakes or pellets. Just cleaned the tank. Vacuumed the sand, wiped the inside glass and changed 10% of the water. Tank is cloudy with loose sand but skimmer is going crazy. Question: could my lighting be too bright? I have both actinics and whites about even during the day. My husband asked if that would affect them. Could anyone think of anything else, with this and the last posts in mind? I need some advice.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #129
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The lights aren't the issue. What you've done is disturb the sandbed, causing a nutrient spike. That is a ton of junk, food and poop, that has been released into the water column. That is why your skimmer is going nuts.
So, don't disturb your sandbed. Feed minimally and sparingly. Try to increase or adjust the flow through the tank to prevent the uneaten food or poop for collecting around your rocks and in the sandbed, this way it will be managed by your filtration rather than decaying through the nitrate cycle...or disturbed and spiked by disturbing the sandbed.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. I thought I was supposed to vacuum the sandbed. They were hiding before I vacuumed, so I guess I've really stressed them now. The tank is clearing rapidly, thanks to the skimmer.
Another question: if just vacuuming blew the sand around, won't the powerhead pointed relatively down and through the rocks?
Thanks for responding so quickly and straightening me out.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com