AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly didn't know nitrates could hit 0. I thought under 25 was good. Oh well, you can see what I know. Finally got the temp at 76 which is where I wanted it. Thank you for helping me out. I will do a water change later today.

I'm having a second diatom bloom. This time, at least so far, it's just brown and powdery. It's hitting the glass pretty hard. No "strings" or slime. I will watch it really closely and do another water change tomorrow. Are second blooms normal?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hmmm...it looks like diatoms. Brown, slightly gold powder on the sand and walls, very little on the rocks. Due to what I have just been through, I assumed it was the run of the mill diatoms, but I'm keeping watch that nothing else develops from this.

You were right, Sniperhank. It was green algae. It just looked brown, but when I scraped it from the walls, it was green. I got some three banded trochus to help, but apparently not enough. They still haven't gotten to the wall, just skimmer and rocks. There remains a brown/red powder on the sand in some areas, but I will wait on that. May get some more trochus if there's time, but we leave in less than a week for Alaska.

Hello everyone. I'm back from Alaska and ready to concentrate on the 40g breeder tank. As you will recall, I got it or Christmas, set it up with dry live rock and live sand, had Dino's, diatoms, and green algae on the glass and sand. I went lights out for several days, and Dino's disappeared. Tank has continued running for a month after this. I have 3 three banded trochus and a cleaner shrimp. I put three Chromis in there before the trip, and they all died within days, before I left for the trip. Since the tank ran while I was in Alaska, with basically nothing in it, I tested it yesterday and ammonia and nitrites were 0 and nitrates at 10. Called LFS, but they have none of the three fish I want to start with.
I need an opinion here. What are the pros and cons of ordering from LiveAquaria? And if they don't have a specific fish, approximately how long does it take to get it when you ask in an email to notify you when it comes in? I haven't had any luck with three LFS in my area. They never contacted me, then one of them sold my fish.
Thanks for the help.

Yeah, they are a great organization. If you buy their certified corals they come with certificates. Always instructions on how to acclimate and well packaged for overnight shipping.

Thanks, as usual. I think I will go that route. They have my Saddled Mimic File fish i haven't been able to find elsewhere. Considering adding him and a Sunrise Dottyback at the same time, as I can get it captive bred. That juggles my stocking list, but I think it will be ok to add these at the same time, don't you?

I received my LiveAquaria order today. A Valentini Puffer and a Midas Blenny. Am acclimating them now. So far, I've had excellent service from them, and if everything goes well, I will order all my critters from them. They were the ones that suggested the little puffer because the mimic saddled filefish was listed to need a bigger tank. Can't wait to see them swimming around.

The puffer immediately started swimming around, but the Blenny is still hiding. The part of him he let's me see looks blue. I know LA sells a "dusky" form which is mainly blue, but the one I paid for is supposed to be yellow. Can't find anything anywhere that states a younger midas blenny is blue and matures as yellow. Is this the case?

The puffer is swimming everywhere, but didn't eat the Mysis I fed them this morning. The Blenny is out but just laying on top of a rock, and didn't eat either and has not left the rock. He might be yellowing up some. But I'm worried he's not doing well. Does anyone know if this behavior is normal?

Sounds pretty normal once his colour returns he will probably get less shy

Thank you for the info. I have been really worried as I've never ordered from LA before. I took a lot of precautions, but still I can lose one of the fish. I trust that you are right.

I have been in the hospital for the last four days with no one caring for my tanks. The blenny is still sitting on the same rock exactly how I left him. Because they've only been fed one day since I got the blenny and the little puffer, I mixed small amounts of frozen marine algae, frozen prime reef and Mysis, melted it in some tank water, (it was already rinsed) and used a turkey baster to get the blenny to eat. He seemed to eat some and swam under a rock, seemingly to get rid of me. When I pulled out the baster, he swam right back to the same rock. Is this normal? I can't find any info on this. The puffer ate fine. Thanks.

my Valenti puffer loves those tiny clams on 1/2 shell there around the size of a dime
they are from San Fransisco bay there in the frozen food section at pet store
beware he will eat your snails and hermits if you have any , but there fun little guys to watch
I also got him to eat mini marine pellets

Thank you. I appreciate the info. Have never seen the little clams, but probably because I haven't looked. He is eating everything else I put in there isn't he? He doesn't go crazy when I put food in there like the guys in my reef tank do. And he won't let me baster feed him. I'd hate to have worried all about the blenny and then lose my puffer. He's a little doll.
Thanks again for coming back to me, and for the info.

I was wrong with the brand it was Hikari
42031371.jpg

I started to buy all my frozen foods online as it's cheaper in bulk the more you buy the cheaper it gets , I found 2 local reefers to go in on it with me ,
between us we got 40 packs @ $2.49 a pack in store its like $5.99 a pack
you need to talk to a rep to get discount as the online order form don't take it off
Frozen Fish Food for Sale Online | PetSolutions

Back
Top Bottom