Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #141
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did give consideration to the bacteria and little critters that I want in the sandbed. I was concerned with the leftovers from the diatom bloom which still gave the sand a gold look and the heavy feeding I was doing (and have stopped) to get the fish to come out and play. It only took a couple of hours for the water to get clear again, so I guess they are all right, even though I haven't seen both of them at one time since early afternoon.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #142
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You did have that awful diatom bloom that almost looked like dinos. My memory is slowly coming around, I swear.
Either way, it may look AWFUL, but it will vanish on its own. Just wait that one out.
Just remember, everything in this hobby comes about from going slow. You are on the right track.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:53 AM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Don't stir a sandbed. One of the reasons comes from the bacteria that grow in there that you want live in oxygen free zones...stir it and bring oxygen in means dead or no bacteria growth. That and there are other things that live in the sandbed that you want in there that you'll end up sucking out.
As for the cloudy tank, as long as it isn't long lasting things will be just fine and it shouldn't worry you.

in order to get the anoxic zones you mention, the sand bed has to be about 4"-6" inches in depth.

stirring the sand bed only causes issues if it isn't done regularly.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #144
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, Sniperhank, the diatoms WERE awful, but are resolving faster than I had expected. After the vacuum, the sand is white again, but we'll see if it remains that way. Thank you for what you said about my being on the right track. The important thing is to prevent aquarium deaths, keep everything healthy and enjoy the hobby, no matter what you have to do to accomplish that. My sandbed is not deep, maybe 1 and 1/2 inches, and is new. I would never have considered vacuuming if it were older or deeper. It was my understanding that I could remove dead diatoms, poop and old food before it began to affect water quality.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish came out this morning when I put food in, but just stuck their heads out of the rock. Not sure if they ate much.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #146
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like they are just adjusting to their new home. It might take time, but sounds OK.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They will only eat frozen foods. When I feed flakes or pellets, they don't come out at all. Should I feed only frozen for now? Would it pollute the tank too much?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #148
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Flakes and pellets will pollute a tank much easier than frozen foods. Frozens you can rinse off.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got some frozen food that said it had no gel to hold it together. (Or something like that). Do they still need to be rinsed?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #150
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What I do it use some tank water that I pull from the sump to thaw out a cube. The water they are packed in is basically all liquid phosphates. So, if you use a strainer you can prevent that awfulness from going into your tank by straining out that water.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com