Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Will keep everyone posted...if I don't mess it up.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

You are indeed right up the road from me! My hubby passes through all of the time. He's a truck driver and we own our own truck and run on our own authority as well.

I'll continue to follow your post to see how it all goes for you!!!

1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
lgdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow! Small world. Sometime we need to talk. You're a Special Ed teacher, right? I have a high functioning autistic granddaughter. I have a strong respect for Special Ed teachers.
Anyway, this is a fish forum. Back to the subject.
Stand is up, but my husband is putting casters on it so we can move it as necessary. You know those plastic desk chair floor cover? We put one under all the tanks so if we get a leak, or spill water while cleaning, it catches most of it. I will do a water test on the tank and then clean it. Next, I will order rock from BRS and start making additional salt water. Lots to do and I will love to do it.
How's your tank? Fishies doing well? Added more?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is a small world, indeed! Yes- I am a dually- certified teacher going for a third certification in Special Ed. My BA. is in Secondary Education in Biology. I am certified by the state of FL to teach Elementary Ed (grades K- 6 all subjects) and General Sciences (grades 5- 9). I am in school for my masters degree in Special Ed to then add that to my certification. I have 15 years teaching experience among all three areas. I am in a private Christian school as a consultant and Special Ed teacher. I taught Biology this past summer at a college level and this past semester at a high school level. This coming semester, I will be teaching Chemistry and Physical Science to high schoolers and I'll be in the 6th grade classroom for a while (their teacher is doing an internship in counseling), all while running the Special Ed lab. I love what I do!!!

I have a couple of autistic kids in the lab, plus my nephew is 4 years old and autistic as well. We have bonded over the fishes!!! I need to upload some pics; it's just that I've been so busy these past few weeks! For Christmas, I took him to our LFS and he was in awe. I told him to pick a fish "to put in Titi Liza's tank" and that will be his fish. He chose a black and white Oscellaris clownfish with an orange underbelly. We added a mate for it, making it 4 Oscellaris clowns in my tank. I had wanted a Banggai Cardinalfish myself so we added one as well. Yesterday, we added a pretty cool background to the tank so I feel like it's truly an under water scene now! As I said- I'll post pics soon, hopefully sometime over the weekend.

It sounds like your setup is coming along nicely! The coasters idea is ingenious!!! Over here, thank God I have a tiled floor- LOL! God knows that it isn't easy doing water changes with my nephew without getting some on the floor!.... I'm definitely going to continue to follow your thread and check out your progress.
1 blue- green Chromis, 2 bi- colored Chromis, 3 black and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 orange and white Oscellaris clownfish, 1 Banggai cardinalfish, 11 Turban snails (1 died), 6 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, and lots of love....
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for writing back! I have 4 freshwater tanks on carpet. What a disaster! But, I learn from every tank, so I hope this will be nearly perfect. I'm so excited! I'm going to have to go really slow. My mom is having surgery on 1/6/15 and my husband will have surgery 1/28/15. Approximately two weeks later, he will have another one, so everything I do will surround all this. I wanted to order the rock, powerhead and heaters today, but they will get to the house on mom's surgery day, and I don't want this on the porch for an unknown time. So, I will have to be careful when I place orders and when I can work on the tank.
You are one busy lady, and I told you how much I respect you. Anna can be difficult to handle, and she is almost 12. She's failed one grade, and may fail this one. She has an IEP, which I find useless. Either her mother or I are at the school at least once a week. If she passes this year, she is supposed to have the McKay, so we will put her in a private school with a contained special Ed program. I will tell you one thing, though. Like your nephew, she loves my tanks and freaks out at "fish" stores. She and her little sister have helped me choose most of my fish. And, some of the equipment. Her little sister was so disappointed yesterday that she couldn't go get the fish she chose from the book to put in the empty tank. Took an hour to explain it to her. But I have a great list of fish for the future.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

My heart and prayers go out to you and to your family. I hope for all surgical interventions to go smoothly and for full recoveries as well.

Let me give you my email address because there are some things I'd like to discuss with you that do not belong in a fish forum. It is lguasp.davila@gmail.com. Please send me a message and we will chat! I have a ton of questions for you and I might have some ammunition as well. Both my hubby and I return to work tomorrow so we are having a movie night tonight. However, I look forward to chatting with you soon!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the prayers for my mom and husband. Thanks, too, for the email address. I look forward to having someone to talk to about ALL my interests. Tomorrow, I have to do all the things I won't be able to in the next week. When I sit down, I'll email you.
By the way, the stand is up and finished and I'm doing the water test on the tank. Progressing, but slowly.
Enjoy the movie night!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, everyone, a new question. Was going BB but since I'm using an iron stand, the fishies will be nervous having to look straight down. Paint it, or use a little substrate? CaribSea has a Hawaiin (knew I was going to spell that wrong) black sand that appeals to me. Opinions, please?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can do whichever you'd like. If you get the black sand, keep in mind that it is magnetic and you will not be able to use items like mag floats as the sand will attach to it and scratch up the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's also not reflective. I think one of the benefits of white sand is that it reflects light to areas like rock overhangs. I suppose you could paint the bottom, but what color? White? How about a picture of sand taped to the bottom? Either way, it's eventually going to get covered with coralline algae anyway.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com