Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #221
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. No Chromis. Cardinals, huh? Will start researching them, then. Any favorites of yours to start me off?

Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #222
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I like these dummies. I have one in my tank and wish I had more.
Pajama Cardinalfish

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #223
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, Pajamas. I have one in the reef tank. They are beautiful and graceful. They're supposed to be nocturnal, but mine is out all the time.
Know anything about Bangiis? Wonder if you can keep more than one together? On LiveAquaria, I saw ringtail cardinals in trios. Never even heard of them. I guess cardinal fish will be a good choice. I have lots of options I didn't know I had.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:47 AM   #224
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Bangiis are beautiful. The wild caught ones are hard to get to eat.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #225
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would only get captive bred. I try to get captive bred anytime if it's available.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, update on the tank, and it's not good. I have read many articles and forums, and the tank is suffering from golden brown cyano, maybe mixed with diatoms, or as Sniperhank originally suggested, Dinos. I mostly have stringy stuff on the lower rocks, closer to the sand, and all the sand is covered in brown, although only certain areas have the stringy stuff. I have scrubbed those rocks, but the stuff just comes back. I did a 6 gallon water change, very gently sucking up what I could and turkey basted what came off. I also use a small net to collect what floats to the top and is against the side of the tank. In case it was Cyano, I dosed UltraSlime two days in a row. The skimmer went crazy, and a lot came off. The next morning it was back. One forum suggested hydrogen peroxide would wipe it out, at least most of it. I need some advice here. No sence sending a picture as I just cleaned up the tank. By the way, the higher rocks are getting some algae and coralline. Getting really pretty. Ok, anything anyone can suggest?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #227
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

banjiis are best kept in small schools I had 6 2m 4f loved them , but it limited my stock in a 40b

the blue/green chromis do best in schools of 6 or more 2 males per every 4 females otherwise they will kill each other off

I love my sea chromis they are dark blue and grow up to 6 inches I have a school of 4

I have kept a coral beauty in a 40b it works because of the foot print of the tank

avoid damsels at all costs they are just out right demons

I find lunar wrasse are a little less aggressive than the flasher
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #228
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hydrogen peroxide is a nasty killer. I use it to kill algae off of frags and such. I don't think I'd try to use it for this battle, but in all honesty I'm out of ideas at this moment besides trying to starve it out.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #229
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, Seaweed. I think I've pretty much got my stocking list done, and since all the Chromis mysteriously died, I won't be trying them again. Decided against Bangiis for just the reason you mentioned. They limit the residents of the tank.
Hi, Sniperhank. I took a nap and when I got up, the rocks were stringy again. The sand looks the same as t did when I laid down, so it's not stringy...yet. I wasn't able to get it all off the sand. Does it sound more like Dinos now, or would you consider it cyano/diatoms? I've never had Dinos, so I don't know how to handle it. Another forum discussed getting rid of them with the hydrogen peroxide. I don't even know if that's what I've got. I can deal with cyano. And doesn't the peroxide kinda get into the rocks and sand? Would it poison the tank for a period of time?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #230
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't add peroxide directly into tank , if anything I'd use it as a dip/bath , than a clean saltwater dip before adding back in tank

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com