Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #231
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't understand what you're saying.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #232
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hydrogen peroxide will kill what it touches. Don't dose it into your tank.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #233
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok....how do I get the stuff off my sand, rocks, glass, etc? Remember, I only have a cleaner shrimp in there which can be moved. I am growing some green algae on one rock and a little coralline. I know I would lose that and be starting from scratch.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Woke up this morning to a slightly better tank. Only one rock has inches long stringy stuff and a couple of places with shorter strings on the sand. I'm going to gently scrub all the rocks and change 10-20% of water today. If it is Dinos, it must not be the toxic version because the shrimp is thriving. Any opinions as to whether to add snails or anything else to the tank? I will not be adding fish until June because we are going to Alaska for approx. 3 weeks. It will be hard enough for my daughter to handle all my other critters. Not leaving until 5/23 so I have time to get the tank cleaned up (I hope).

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-14-2015, 03:43 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cleaned the tank. Scrubbed off the rocks and vacuumed the gunk off the sand but I can't do that anymore because I'm losing too much sand. I found green algae on the glass. Was thrilled to see it because I need grazing material for the critters I will add later. Next time I do a water change, I will use a fork to sweep the sand. Skimmer has just now kicked on. Water is already getting clearer. Anything I could put in the tank to try to keep this stuff under control while I'm gone? Since we're not absolutely sure what it is, trying to decide what I might put in there is difficult. What eats Cyano and Dinos (just in case)?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello again, everyone. I've been reading this and other forums. You guys said don't dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide, which I won't. I have read that Dinos eat up the trace elements in the salt. They recommend only topping off the tank with ro/di water, use no salt water, so obviously do not clean the tank. Also lights out.
In case you're wondering, this could be Dinos or cyano with diatoms. When I used the ultra slime, it really did nothing. I scrub the rocks, walls, heaters and powerheads daily. Long strings come off which I net out. The stuff is golden brown with little bubbles on the rocks which float to the top occasionally. No bubbles on the sand, just gold powder with some darker areas that contain strings as well. Unknown what to do now. Would like some opinions or advice. Please. All my time is spent researching this. I'm getting frustrated.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

here is one method of dealing with dinos;

Problem Dinoflagellates and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, PB. If I understand correctly, raising the pH MAY do the trick, depending on what type of Dinos I have. Went to Amazon and found Seachem Kalkwasser. I've never used anything like this, just baking soda to up my alk one time. With all the dangers attached to this product, is it worth the use? I know a lot of people have said they use it, but they have pumps or something and they use it for CA. Since I have nothing in the tank but a cleaner shrimp, it won't be caustic to the tank. But exactly how do I go about dosing to achieve a higher pH?
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, and I forgot something. When I was working on the tank a few minutes ago, I noticed several nickel sized spots of red on my sand and some green algae on the glass and a little on a couple of rocks. Does that change anything?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #240
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cyano, feeds off of nutrients in the water column. Still pointing towards the same things we have been discussing.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com