Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't know it was magnetic. Well, I guess that blows that idea. I didn't want white anything because I want my fish to POP! I thought against black, they would look pretty cool. I have a light substrate in the reef and am constantly having problems keeping it that way. I admit I was trying to make this easier. I guess it's either paint the bottom, or use a light substrate. Appreciate the advice.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anybody got a specific substrate they like? I used CaribSea live before, but I'd like an opinion.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anybody got an idea on preferred substrate? Oolite or aragonite? Prefer live sand.
Got my tank up, water test done. Will empty water left over today from pumping it out and will wash out the tank and the outside. Want to paint the back of the tank a cool blue, but the husband is not fond of the idea. May have to go with one of those solid blue plastic sheets and tape it down thoroughly with clear packing tape.
I have ordered the rock and powerhead from BRS, and two 75 watt Eheim Jager heaters along with BioSpira from Amazon. So build the inside and I can add water, a cocktail shrimp in pantyhose and will be on the way. Anything I forgot except substrate once I decide what to get?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Any calcium based sand is fine with me. I don't use the "live" sand. I wonder why there is no expiration date on those bags....
Meanwhile, dry sand will become live in a short time. You'll just have to rinse it thoroughly to remove the dust.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I always wondered about the missing expiration date. I bought live sand for all four of my freshwater tanks and they cycled in a couple of weeks. "Course I was an absolute aquarium noobie, so no telling what really happened and how many fish I may have lost. Too long ago, can't remember. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My caribsea live sand had an expiration date on it. I've only used that kind though so I can't speak for any others.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Must have just started using them recently. Looked at a partial bag I had left over from about 5 years ago and it did not. Just ordered my sand and a stool to be able to reach the bottom of the tank for aquascaping. I'm only a little over 5 feet.
In looking at my well established reef tank, I think I can work around removing a rock to seed my dry ones. Ordered a new ammonia kit, because I simply don't like what I had. Where I live is having a cold spell and my garage, where I make my water up is freezing (I'm spoiled), so I will start making additional water tomorrow when it's a bit warmer. I have enough 5 gallon jugs currently to make up 25 gallons, so I can't fill it all at one time. Some of the water will be for cleaning the reef tank. I can be making more as I use it. Still thinking things out.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rocks arrived along with heaters, powerhead, BioSpira and aragonite sand. Many different opinions as to whether to place the sand in first or the rock. I got 40lbs of sand, but really don't know the volume it will give me in the 40b. Have not decided on sand sifters or burrowing fish, so my thought is to put rock in first, then sand for stability. That gives me the option of fish later. Got both standard dry reef rock and some dry Fiji, so most will be glued together for safety. Opinions?
Also, any opinions where to mount the skimmer? Have an AquaC RemoraS on order, and wanted to mount it on the right side of the tank. The powerhead will be mounted on the other end. Not using an HOB filter at this time and the tank will be run without a sump or refrugium. Still working on the lid. Also, haven't made up my mind on lighting.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok. Haven't gotten an answer yet as to putting sand or rock in first. Almost to that point so I would appreciate y'alls help. My daughter came up with what I called an ingenious plan. Aquascape on the table until I get it right, then take a picture with my IPad and redo it in the tank. At least I thought it was ingenious.
Also need opinions on where to mount the skimmer. Really want to mount it on the side because, as I've mentioned before, I'm short, and wouldn't be able to reach the skimmer cup to empty it without a ladder.
After a great deal of thought, I will not be able to use a mesh top. Too tempting for the cats to use as a bed and it collapse into the tank. Will go with plexiglass or acrylic and go to a glass shop to have them customize it. My next dumb question regards the lighting. Undecided what I will get, but will I be able to remove it easily when I clean the tank? And if I put the skimmer on the side of the tank, the lights will have to be up front. Any problems with that? Also thought about pendants hung from the ceiling, but there's a JBL Studio Speaker mounted from the ceiling that would interfere with pendants. I want to design a door to feed the fish and wanted a way to make it easy to clean the tank, so will I need to remove everything to clean? Ok, so I ask a lot of questions and you're probably tired of me. But, any great engineers out there?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Rock first, and your reasoning is correct- to prevent any collapses due to burrowing fish or inverts.
As far as mounting your skimmer, it's up to you- you will have to look at that ugly thing for the duration.
What are you willing to spend on lighting? Will you ever have corals in this tank?

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com