Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 PM   #381
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lights off. Blanket on. And can't find my new fish. Here we go again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #382
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

this may sound crazy so I have to cringe not to get smacked , Have you thought of doing a 100% water change , maybe there's something in the water in the tank ,
another thought have your husband check the RO unit see if the filters look moldy ,
have you ever had the water coming into your home , are there any foreign objects in the tank besides rock and sand , omg why didn't I think of this check your heater see if it's cracked , magnesium will turn your tank green when in contact to salt

Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #383
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok. I'll check the heater. I never would have thought of that. And I am going to smack you. 100% water change? I don't have enough water made and it would take several days to make and sit. I am wondering about the BRS dry live rock. Never used the stuff and I wonder if it's whats causing the constant problems. Any experience with dry live rock? RO filters look good and I have TDS meters on the incoming water and after the membrane and the other measures outgoing, which looks good.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #384
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

rock is another thought ,

I just googled what would turn my new saltwater tank green overnight ,
the three results I found are as follows :

some salt mixes contain phosphate (instant ocean is phosphate free) so this aint it .

is there a outside light source that hits the tank (uv rays can cause water to turn green instantly) cure lower blinds to reduce light .

some limes they use to make dry rock can react to salt water causing a bloom , (this was your thought)

Quote:
ok. I'll check the heater. I never would have thought of that. And I am going to smack you. 100% water change?
lol I would have done this already but after reading what I just did it would have proved it useless
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #385
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No outside light source. Use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Should I switch to plain Instant Ocean? I'm calling BRS tomorrow but I don't know if they'll be honest or have a solution. I'm still going to check that heater. I'm desperate for anything.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #386
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

instant ocean shows it has no phosphates so that's fine
no outside light so that's good
two things ruled out
now
been doing a bit of Googling every thing I've read about green water is in coming from a lot of excess nutrients in the water test for phosphates , almost sounds like it may be in the water source going to the ro/di unit and its not catching it all , this is a good possibility , I remember when I lived in pace Fla there was tons of minerals in the water when the landlord had it tested . have you ever had your water tested , you can get one of those test kits from home depot or lowes fill the vial with water from the tap and send it out in the mail for analysis think it costs like $15 and you get results in about week they will also tell you what to do to fix it types of filters and such
also a good way of finding out if the waters safe to drink
when I owned my home in north Carolina my well water wasn't potable or drinkable
Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #387
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The water source is a reason my RO/DI isn't up and running either. It is good spring water and it did well until crop season and heavy rains come. Then all the manure that is spread on the fields leaks down into the water source...I don't even drink it though it is drinkable. Too many 'chunks' end up clogging my filters.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #388
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks from both of you. TDS says all is well. City water. But, to be sure, I'll have my husband do some research for me. He's a good researcher. I'll let him read what you're saying. What I can't grasp is why the same water goes into the reef that goes in the 40, but I only had green water for a couple of weeks while I set the reef up, and I used water from the grocery store and the LFS I no longer trust then.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #389
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I forgot to say that the reef is 3 years old and ro/di is one and a half and has had filters and membrane changed two months ago, I think, when I started using so much between both tanks. It's a 100g per day unit.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #390
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I checked the heater just to be sure and it's ok. My husband says we are on city water and I tested TDS on it just to be sure. Nothing.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com