AquaTricia 40 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, before you answered, I adjusted it more to the top and now it's just a fast ripple across the top. Great minds think alike! I will be glad, though, to at least SEE my tank. Lost a rock off the top. I had that thing appoxied down strong enough to hold Mt. Rushmore, and apparently it just got blown off. When I can see to place it, I'm going to superglue that puppy in place.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

So where are the pictures of this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How is chocolate milk with marshmallows going? Any clearer?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's still somewhat milky looking but I can see through much of it. Gee, I can even find my rocks. I'm not even going to test it for the first time until we get home from the hospital. (my husband is having surgery day after tomorrow and will spend at least one night) I had already decided I wasn't going to rush with the fish. Let the tank mature a bit. Thought about buying a jar of live pods, if I can find them. Let them populate it a little. Don't know if that will do any good. Will have to take the shrimp out Wednesday morning or my whole house will stink by the time we get back here. It will be in there for 5 days. Temperature in the tank is 75.5.

Well, I forgot to take the shrimp out, so I imagine my house will reek. After I get my husband home and settled, and the shrimp removed, I will take my first readings to give me an idea where the tank is. One of my new heaters fried the night before we left for the hospital, so we unplugged it and put in another, smaller one that I use for heating the jugs of water before water changes. I hope it will help the other one keep the tank at a reasonable temperature. Anyone have an opinion on my idea to put in pods after the tank cycles to seed it? It will be a while, after cycling, before I put in fish. They will have a chance to populate the tank. Silly idea?:blink:

I don't think adding pods will make much of a difference? Surely if the tank cycles there's no need. My tank cycled in a week with just live rock ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, but mine is dry live rock. I don't know how long that will take. The pods were probably a silly idea as I do plan to feed my fish when I eventually get them, and that's really all pods are good for.:banghead:

I need some help guys. The power head blew sand around for a week, even pointed up. Since it was full of sand, I took it out and ran it in a tub of water for 30 minutes. I haven't put it back in yet. Should I? I had to wipe the sand off the inside of the glass so I can see inside the tank. Ammonia reading .50 so still waiting. That's ok. Have a Remora in a box in my livingroom with a skimmer box. Should I install it or wait? One of my new heaters fried the day before we left for the hospital, so we took it out and UPS is coming today to get it for exchange. In the meantime, temp is hovering at 73.7. Assume this is OK. I believe it was Mr_X that told me to scrape coralline from another tank to seed the new one. I tried to do that yesterday, but without being able to remove a rock that has coralline all over it (the glass does in the seams), I can't figure out what to do. Tomorrow I am planning a stop at the LFS as I have a bit of hair algae in the reef tank, so I'm going to get some critters before it becomes a nightmare and thought I would get a small rock loaded with coralline, scrape it into the tank and then just install it. Opinions? I'm sorry, but I think my brain is fried from taking care of my husband. Could someone straighten me out? thanks :banghead:

Your tank is cycling. Just let it run its course. Same goes for sand blowing around. It happens and isn't a big deal. As the sand gets populated with bacteria, it gets 'stickier' and won't be blown around as easily...that and with the powerheads being positioned things will get acclimated to the flow of the setup and will settle where it needs to.

Also, don't add more critters to combat a problem. They eat and poop, just like everything else. So, though minimal at times, will just add to the eating/pooping population in the tank and is the opposite of what you want to do when battling algae.

Ok, you're telling me to re-install the power head. Point it relatively up? Don't install the skimmer yet? No lights necessary? Temp is ok?

As far as hair algae in the reef tank, just keep pulling it off and get no livestock (emerald crab, snails) to battle it. Right?

If you are cycling there is no need to have the lights on and end up with algae growth as this should be the most nutrient rich time in the system's history. In my signature, there are links to algae battles. It talks about removing parts of what it needs to grow, one of them is light.
In terms of the skimmer, there is a break in period for these things to let the oils from production work their way out. You CAN put it on, but it will simply sit there and overflow for awhile. If you want to go through those motions now, you can.

I really appreciate the help. We tested the lights for the new tank, so I will put them back in the box until needed. Put the power head back in, pointing at the surface.
Will not install the skimmer. Will test again later in the week. Will not put additional critters in the reef tank. Will lower lighting and photoperiod. Checked levels and found phosphates just a little high. Another water change is in order.
Again, I thank you for the help. I think my tank is beautiful now, but can't imagine how it will be with fish. No rush, though. Just do it right. :thanks:

Hi, guys! Have another crazy question. The ammonia in my cycling tank is .25 and, for giggles, I measured the nitrates at 184. Got a ways to go, but that's ok. My 2 questions are this: I want coralline algae, and was told to scrape some off an existing piece of rock that has some on it. Since I don't have one, I was going to get the smallest piece with the most coralline I can find at the LFS. Should I then put the little rock in the tank, or will that damage the cycle?
Question 2: I used dry live rock. I need to get it prepared for fish that nibble at it for some of their meal. How do I do this? Thanks for the help, as usual.

It wouldn't hurt the cycle. The key to coraline isn't just throwing it in, but once you finish your cycle scrape at it some here and there. It will spread it around the tank.
What do you mean, prepare the fish to nibble at the rock? It's rock. It'll be fine.

I told you my questions are crazy. Just about all the fish I want indicate the necessity of an established tank with the ability to graze. Graze on what?

You can use nori. You can put it on a veggie clip or something to keep it from blowing around. You can get it at the supermarket. Just look in the international foods aisle...for sushi nori.

OK. Already got some, green and red. But what will grow on my rocks? Live rock was easy. Once cured, there was plenty to graze on. But this live dry rock looks like plain old rock with nothing on it. Give me a hint...what am I missing here?:blink:

You'll have diatoms first...then you'll introduce other things with frags and such. It won't be 100% algae free forever...trust me!

Back
Top Bottom