Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #401
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The lights I use are Orbits. Doug approved them. Like to hear more about this, though.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #402
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Red spectrum feeds algae growth, but I wouldn't think it would be the cause of the green water.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #403
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I checked the Orbits and there's virtually no reds, so I guess I am safe there. UV sterilizer is installed. Blankets are off but lights not on. Keeping the room dark as well for a couple more days.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #404
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Algae can grow under any color light. 2 things needed to grow algae- light and nutrients. I have both types of fixtures over my system- the blue/white, and the multicolored. The fixture with the reds in it doesn't grow algae any faster or differently than the area covered by the fixtures lacking reds. You simply have a green water outbreak. Do you have access to a UV sterilizer? That will wipe it out pretty quickly.

To answer the first part of your question- I don't think either of those claims (carbon or reds) are true. Hydroponics fixtures do have a large number of reds in them for certain growth stages in plants, but that's not the only way to grow them. Here you will see an explanation of color and plants-
http://www.colormatters.com/plant-gr...nd-light-color

I have seen green water outbreaks with 20k halides just as much as multicolored LED.
after reading Doug's answer I guess that red theory is about as old as the thread I found it in , well anyhow your still ahead he also mentioned a uv sterilizer too ,

it's still bugging me I would still like to find the root cause to the outbreak , there's a reason why it happen to begin with , been bouncing back and forth reading everything over and over , seems you were doing things text book correct , I can't pull my hair out as I don't have enough to pull ,

I just caught your signature and couldn't agree more lol

Quote:
People who say that pets lower their blood pressure never had a reef tank!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #405
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really appreciate the work you've done to help me out. I have installed a Green Killing Machine UV Sterilizer. We will see how it works. My skimmer quit skimming two days ago and is going crazy now.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #406
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Any improvement with the uv , oh don't mention skimmers mine cut out think I toasted the motor , been rigging one up from old parts just about to give it a try see if it runs
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #407
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The water is clear, but I'm not gonna give credit to the uv sterilizer yet. We'll see what happens in a few days.
I'm so sorry about your skimmer. Mine on the reef is giving me trouble. Have to work on it tonight or in the morning. Hope you can get yours fixed.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #408
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

as long as I have parts it will be fixed,
whats wrong with yours can't get it to start skimming
a little trick is 2 or 3 drops of aloe/stress coat on paper towel run it down the inner tub also in the center tub of the catch container that will get it to start up faster
I also put a rubber glove cut fingers off between catch container and the unit it gives it a better seal
Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #409
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My reef tank is a 28g cube all in one. Problem is, one of the ones is a nano skimmer that uses wooden airstones. I printed some instructions out on how to rejuvenate them, but this apparently only works once per stone, and this was a three-timer. It skimmed the first two days after I changed it, and then quit. I have been running around to take my mom to the doctor and one of my own, plus groceries and other things women (mostly) do, and haven't gotten back to work on it all week. It's fine now with a clean airstone and has skimmed two gallons of wet skim since 7pm. But my tank looks better.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #410
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just an update. The water is clear as glass for three days now. Still haven't seen the Blenny. The puffer, assessor and dottyback are doing well, so far. I do have diatoms, but that's expected. Starting to plan for the next fish or fishes. I would like something red. So far the cinnamon clown looks good, if it's not too aggressive. I have a mated pair of clowns in the reef tank, and they have never bothered anyone. Any suggestions? This will be the last I put in there, so it's gotta be good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com