Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #431
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I used to get water from the LFS, but after I was instructed to get a TDS meter, and I checked the water, I found it to be awful. About wrecked my reef tank before we could get an ro/di unit installed. I'm so sorry about your situation, though.
My tank is turning red with slimy strings blowing around. It was worse before I added the sand, but it's come back, though not as much. Going to try to get back early tomorrow from my parent's house so I can put in more sand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #432
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

sounds like the silicates are burning out of the sand I always stirred my sand to release all the silicates faster , I know that cayno looks nasty I never missed it lol , I always sucked it out as it built up so it never got insanely out of hand

Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #433
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, probably silicates. Been through this before, so not really concerned. Last of the sand went in an hour ago, raising my sand bed to 2 inches or so. Maybe more in the back as it was where it was completely bare when I started this project. Looks really nice and all fishies accounted for.
Getting ready to order a brittle star, some cerinths, banded trochus and a fighting conch for the 40b. Going to add some trochus to the reef as well.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #434
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

never had luck with brittle stars I have no idea why ,
but I have tons of luck with serpent stars , next time I see one out on the sand I'll snatch him up for you , the ones I have are from 8 inch to 18+inches
I got red white with black spots , gray , white , green and 1 aqua color
most of these came from those little white astiria stars , that everyone always claim won't amount to much ,
there neat though at feeding arms reach out of every where
Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #435
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a brittle star in the reef tank. He's green and white. I'm crazy about them, so, of course, I had to have one for the 40. I hope LiveAquaria sends me a pretty one. I didn't know that asterina stars ever really amounted to anything. I learn a lot from you. And no, I didn't forget to send you the Kenya Tree. It will be raining all this week as the remnants of Erica pass through, but I have the box and packing material ready. As soon as I can swim to the UPS Store.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #436
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A lot of people said that to me , I was crazy but when you see them evolve over time you become a firm believer , I'll have to go into my photo bucket albums see if I can find a few picts , Gregg has a green one the size of a man hole cover , when there white and tiny I can't stand them , but once they mature they are just awesome creatures ,
meant to as was Erica mostly rain or did she get mean ,
I'll never forget Bertha and Fran think it was in 98 watched my home wash into the ocean lost everything
lost my trigger this morning he decided to swim into my power head
,chopped him up like a blender
Old 08-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #437
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This one is just starting to change into a serpent ,
I'm still searching for the other pictures but I'll find them
Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 AM   #438
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I'll never forget Bertha and Fran think it was in 98 watched my home wash into the ocean lost everything
lost my trigger this morning he decided to swim into my power head
,chopped him up like a blender
Sorry to hear about your trigger, hopefully none of your other fish follow him.

It's ironic you mention Bertha and Fran, I had to read a few pages from "What They Don't Tell You About Hurricanes" and it talked about Fran's impact.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #439
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am so sorry about your trigger. What a horrible way to die. It must have been awful for you. And I'm sorry about your house. Erica was a kitten compared to some I've seen. Just cloudy all day with rain tonight and last night. Sounds like summer to me. I'm looking over at the reef tank and can see 9 asterinas from here. The 40 has diatoms from the new sand I added yesterday. So, what else is new?

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #440
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

picked this up $30 button coral

They look ugly but should burn off somewhat fast
When I set up the 90 I used live sand didn't really see diatoms instead I got a infestation those nasty vermid snails they took over my sand had to remove it and replaced it , this time I used the bagged live sand cycled it in my feeder tank before I added it into the main seemed to work ,
Now i got a problem getting my carpet nem to settle in , kinda makes me nervous it's going to get stuck in a power head like the trigger , he already got stuck in the outlet tub had to cut the screen into little chunks,
You can suck out those stars with your next water change, I strain them out feed them to the birds ,and I always dump the dirty salt water in tomato garden seems to make the tomatoes get bigger

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com