Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, before you answered, I adjusted it more to the top and now it's just a fast ripple across the top. Great minds think alike! I will be glad, though, to at least SEE my tank. Lost a rock off the top. I had that thing appoxied down strong enough to hold Mt. Rushmore, and apparently it just got blown off. When I can see to place it, I'm going to superglue that puppy in place.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

So where are the pictures of this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you want pictures of chocolate milk with marshmallows?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

How is chocolate milk with marshmallows going? Any clearer?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's still somewhat milky looking but I can see through much of it. Gee, I can even find my rocks. I'm not even going to test it for the first time until we get home from the hospital. (my husband is having surgery day after tomorrow and will spend at least one night) I had already decided I wasn't going to rush with the fish. Let the tank mature a bit. Thought about buying a jar of live pods, if I can find them. Let them populate it a little. Don't know if that will do any good. Will have to take the shrimp out Wednesday morning or my whole house will stink by the time we get back here. It will be in there for 5 days. Temperature in the tank is 75.5.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I forgot to take the shrimp out, so I imagine my house will reek. After I get my husband home and settled, and the shrimp removed, I will take my first readings to give me an idea where the tank is. One of my new heaters fried the night before we left for the hospital, so we unplugged it and put in another, smaller one that I use for heating the jugs of water before water changes. I hope it will help the other one keep the tank at a reasonable temperature. Anyone have an opinion on my idea to put in pods after the tank cycles to seed it? It will be a while, after cycling, before I put in fish. They will have a chance to populate the tank. Silly idea?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think adding pods will make much of a difference? Surely if the tank cycles there's no need. My tank cycled in a week with just live rock 😊

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, but mine is dry live rock. I don't know how long that will take. The pods were probably a silly idea as I do plan to feed my fish when I eventually get them, and that's really all pods are good for.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I need some help guys. The power head blew sand around for a week, even pointed up. Since it was full of sand, I took it out and ran it in a tub of water for 30 minutes. I haven't put it back in yet. Should I? I had to wipe the sand off the inside of the glass so I can see inside the tank. Ammonia reading .50 so still waiting. That's ok. Have a Remora in a box in my livingroom with a skimmer box. Should I install it or wait? One of my new heaters fried the day before we left for the hospital, so we took it out and UPS is coming today to get it for exchange. In the meantime, temp is hovering at 73.7. Assume this is OK. I believe it was Mr_X that told me to scrape coralline from another tank to seed the new one. I tried to do that yesterday, but without being able to remove a rock that has coralline all over it (the glass does in the seams), I can't figure out what to do. Tomorrow I am planning a stop at the LFS as I have a bit of hair algae in the reef tank, so I'm going to get some critters before it becomes a nightmare and thought I would get a small rock loaded with coralline, scrape it into the tank and then just install it. Opinions? I'm sorry, but I think my brain is fried from taking care of my husband. Could someone straighten me out? thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #70
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Your tank is cycling. Just let it run its course. Same goes for sand blowing around. It happens and isn't a big deal. As the sand gets populated with bacteria, it gets 'stickier' and won't be blown around as easily...that and with the powerheads being positioned things will get acclimated to the flow of the setup and will settle where it needs to.

Also, don't add more critters to combat a problem. They eat and poop, just like everything else. So, though minimal at times, will just add to the eating/pooping population in the tank and is the opposite of what you want to do when battling algae.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com