Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, you're telling me to re-install the power head. Point it relatively up? Don't install the skimmer yet? No lights necessary? Temp is ok?

As far as hair algae in the reef tank, just keep pulling it off and get no livestock (emerald crab, snails) to battle it. Right?

Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #72
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If you are cycling there is no need to have the lights on and end up with algae growth as this should be the most nutrient rich time in the system's history. In my signature, there are links to algae battles. It talks about removing parts of what it needs to grow, one of them is light.
In terms of the skimmer, there is a break in period for these things to let the oils from production work their way out. You CAN put it on, but it will simply sit there and overflow for awhile. If you want to go through those motions now, you can.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really appreciate the help. We tested the lights for the new tank, so I will put them back in the box until needed. Put the power head back in, pointing at the surface.
Will not install the skimmer. Will test again later in the week. Will not put additional critters in the reef tank. Will lower lighting and photoperiod. Checked levels and found phosphates just a little high. Another water change is in order.
Again, I thank you for the help. I think my tank is beautiful now, but can't imagine how it will be with fish. No rush, though. Just do it right.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi, guys! Have another crazy question. The ammonia in my cycling tank is .25 and, for giggles, I measured the nitrates at 184. Got a ways to go, but that's ok. My 2 questions are this: I want coralline algae, and was told to scrape some off an existing piece of rock that has some on it. Since I don't have one, I was going to get the smallest piece with the most coralline I can find at the LFS. Should I then put the little rock in the tank, or will that damage the cycle?
Question 2: I used dry live rock. I need to get it prepared for fish that nibble at it for some of their meal. How do I do this? Thanks for the help, as usual.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #75
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It wouldn't hurt the cycle. The key to coraline isn't just throwing it in, but once you finish your cycle scrape at it some here and there. It will spread it around the tank.
What do you mean, prepare the fish to nibble at the rock? It's rock. It'll be fine.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I told you my questions are crazy. Just about all the fish I want indicate the necessity of an established tank with the ability to graze. Graze on what?
Old 02-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can use nori. You can put it on a veggie clip or something to keep it from blowing around. You can get it at the supermarket. Just look in the international foods aisle...for sushi nori.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK. Already got some, green and red. But what will grow on my rocks? Live rock was easy. Once cured, there was plenty to graze on. But this live dry rock looks like plain old rock with nothing on it. Give me a hint...what am I missing here?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You'll have diatoms first...then you'll introduce other things with frags and such. It won't be 100% algae free forever...trust me!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #80
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Bacteria, algae, and other such things. That is what will grow on the rocks.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com