Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK, guys. I think I may get over my dumbness now. Of course, there will be no frags as this is a Fowlr, so I guess that's why I couldn't understand. The "bugs" had to come from somewhere! And I do have patience, even though I don't sound like it. I'm just one of those people that plans in advance.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #82
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Bugs? You mean copepods and amphipods? Did they show up in the tank already? If the rock had ever been in a tank, it could easily have been brought over. I had a chiton come out of my live rock a year after the tank was set up...all that after being shipped up from Florida to PA and sitting on my porch for hours in the middle of winter as it waited for me to get home from work.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My incorrect terminology. No I didn't mean Copepods and Amphipods. I was meaning the items that will grow on the rocks, the bacteria, algae, etc. Sorry I misspoke. I have been checking the rocks and sand for movement, but it's really too early. After the tank cycles, I was intending on waiting a short while before stocking. That will give the tank more time to grow what's necessary to support the fish. Sorry again.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you got any pics of the choc milk with marshmallows?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, at least it doesn't look like that now! And no, I haven't had time to get the pics. If my husband feels well enough tonight, I'll try to get some. Just remember that it has not cycled yet and does not have all of its equipment.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haven't updated in a while as half my family was hospitalized during February. So glad that month is over. Husband has one more surgery, and hope that will be it. During all this time, the tank just sat with the heaters and powerhead going. I did get two pieces of coralline covered reef rock and added it and, when home, added PurpleUp daily. Checked the rocks closely with a flashlight and actually saw light red patches yesterday. One thing I don't understand. All that time the tank sat, without anything but fresh r/o d/i water top ups, and I tested it today, the ammonia was zero, but nitrites were still at 18. Really expected it to be cycled and am disappointed. Almost sorry I didn't go with live rock. It would have been cycled by now but I might have some unwanted critters, too. Wonder if I'm doing anything wrong.....

Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Ocean rock or dry rock, as long as you have an equal ammonia source, it would cycle the same. I'm sorry to hear about your family. I hope things calm down for you.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks about the family, Doug. With all that's going on, it's amazing I still have tanks at all. Half the work on them is between midnight and 2 a.m.
Glad to know the tank is cycling normally and nothing could have been done differently. I will probably take another nitrite reading towards the end of the week. 18 came down from 184 two weeks ago. Guess that is progress.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #89
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well guys, I'm finally cycled!!😃😃. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates. Remora S installed and tested. A Tunze 6045 powerhead has been working for about a month and I blew all the loose sand off the rocks and turned the Tunze directly on them to keep them that way. Received a Hydor Nano 240 powerhead today which I will use only to point at the surface of the water. The tank lid is pretty tight, so I'm trying to keep the water roiling a bit. We are having a problem with the lighting controller. It has 4 pre-programmed timers, and whether we use one of them, or we design our own, the lights ramp down appropriately at 6 p.m., actinic full blown until 10 p.m. when it completely shuts off. Amazingly, at exactly midnight, the actinics flick back on and by 6 a.m., the tank is completely lit. Obviously, we're still working on this. Would like to get it fixed before we go for a fish or two. Looking at a Midas Blenny and a cleaner shrimp to start things off. Want to look around the store to check out Chalk Bass, Blue Green Chromis, and, if they have them, a Saddled Filefish. I love Puffers, but will never have a tank big enough, so I want to see if these little guys will do. That's the current "bucket list", subject to change.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's great news have you got any photos?

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com