aragonite sand bed (murky water issue)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbseven

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a sand bed for the first time and now the water is real murky. I can only see like 3-4 inches in. Will this clear by itsself? Should I use my filter? Its been about 12 hours since I set it up. I rinsed the sand before use.

You can use some mechanical filtration for the super fine particles, but it will settle on it's own. Just takes time.

I dont know if it will remove any of hte salt, but I use paper towels in a tank I am setting up to clear our any sand/foggyness before adding fish. Just replace the filter with a few wads of paper towels and replace it every day, should clear it out in a day or two.

If you have a quick connect for the bottom of a high end power head just plug into with a fresh white filter. I usually clean any murky items up (Sandy) in a couple hours.

Remove and rinse with shower head and replace after a quick dip in Salt water.

Or just be patient and wait 2 days or so, and it'll dissapear.

I agree! When I switched my CC for sand, I had fish in the tank, it didn't bother anyone.

Please don't cycle with live animals.

I changed CC to sand a week ago. I wrapped my powerheads in filter wool ( my lfs gave me a HEAP for free :) ) and the water was crystal clear the next morning. I think it would have taken another day or so if I hadnt used this...but I dont think that would have hurt anything

Back
Top Bottom