Are all shrimps compatible with eachother?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
I like the cleaner shrimp.... My pet store has the Peppermint shrimp in abundance and cheap, so I was thinking of those two types??:confused:

Last edited:
Those will work together. But to answer your 1st question, not all shrimp are compatible. Check out mantis shrimp, not very compatible with other critters....

I'll second Scott's statement and add that Coral Banded Shrimp are not a good choice if you plan to have other shrimp.

Ok, I think Ill stick to the cleaner, and the peppermint-those ones are small, Ill prob. get 2..
I still like the idea of the Goby. I was thinking of the yellow watchman to pair up with the shrimp hopefully...or maybe I should get a pistol shrimp for that reason?

If you do decide to go with the watchman goby and pistol shrimp I would suggest you buy them at the same time. In my experience, they are more likely to pair up together if they are introduced together. I've never had a watchman goby pair up with a cleaner or peppermint shrimp though. But then again, maybe that was just the watchman gobies that I've had over the years.

I have two peppermint and one cleaner shrimp. They tolerate each other very well. The only time the cleaner shrimp is 'agressive' toward the pepperment is when theres food around. Then again all he'll do is try and 'whip' the pepperments with his antennae then they swim away.. kinda comical. I just try to feed opposite ends of the tank when I do give them something. Other than that, they really could care less about each other.

They will the left overs the other critters don't eat.

Thats what I figured. Hey Ive been looking at the packs they sell online at live aquaria with the snails, shrimp, crabs.... one has those and another has snails and starfish.. Would it be a good idea to get 2 of those packs in the future, or would it be too much for a 50gal?

Those are designed for a mature tank. I don't like a lot of the packs because they tend to throw in a few critters that I don't like, like hermits and sometimes crabs.

Also, most of the packs are desgined for the established tank. You want to build your cleanup crew as you build your tank, a few at a time.

I was thinking for a future purchase anyway. I still like the idea, and they do have build your own..I think I will end up doing that.. Id rather start ordering online with some inverts rather than a fish first, Im kinda hesitant about the fish.

IMO fish do better than inverts. Maybe it's just that inverts require much longer acclimation times. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I agree with cmor, it's harder on inverts than fish.

Back
Top Bottom