Are Bubbles Bad ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ram6519

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,
I have a 55 Gal with a 3 - 4'' DSB. LR to be ordered tomorrow from LR.com. I have 2 HOB filters running until I can get a skimmer. No fish yet. Tank is only 2 weeks old. I have seen where Skimmers have Bubble traps or Bubble reducers. My 2 HOB filters produce quite a few bubbles in the return water. Are bubbles bad in a Reef & Fish tank?

Besides taking away from the appearance, I don't think they can hurt anything. IMO it is just more of noise, and asthetics issue. Also think of it this way, have youever seen a waterfall that didnt make some bubbles when it hits the water. If it bothers you you could perhaps make a small ramp of acrylic of clear plastic that the water can run down rather then fall into the tank. I did this into my sump to quiet the noise and it worked really well.

I don't think the bubbles are bad. My remora skimmer will produce a lot of micro bubbles after I feed my fish. It eventually goes away, I don't see how it could harm anything.

Im no expert, but I believe some coral are sensative to micro bubbles... I dont think it really bothers the fish too much.

The are bubbles from my hob filter for my nano fowlr tank and it's been over a year and everything seems fine.

Like Tyger, i'm no expert, but I've read several reputable sources taht state corals are very very sensitive to being exposed to any open air, bubbles included.
Fish will be fine...just the corals are damaged. The same might be true of anenomes, but you're a long ways away from having one of those.

I dont think bubble will bother the corals or fish, unless you have sponges in the tank than of course they can not be exposed to air or bubbles.
I think the biggest problem with bubbles is salt creep.

Kaye

Remember....the ocean is not a stagnat pool of water. It is constantly churning creating lots and lots of bubbles. Fish and corals shouldn't be bothered by this unless the bubbles are attaching to the coral surface and building up. In the ocean bubbles that becomre attached are usually knocked free from the current eventually.

Back
Top Bottom