Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ram6519
Are Bubbles Bad ????

Hello All,
I have a 55 Gal with a 3 - 4'' DSB. LR to be ordered tomorrow from LR.com. I have 2 HOB filters running until I can get a skimmer. No fish yet. Tank is only 2 weeks old. I have seen where Skimmers have Bubble traps or Bubble reducers. My 2 HOB filters produce quite a few bubbles in the return water. Are bubbles bad in a Reef & Fish tank?

ram6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Besides taking away from the appearance, I don't think they can hurt anything. IMO it is just more of noise, and asthetics issue. Also think of it this way, have youever seen a waterfall that didnt make some bubbles when it hits the water. If it bothers you you could perhaps make a small ramp of acrylic of clear plastic that the water can run down rather then fall into the tank. I did this into my sump to quiet the noise and it worked really well.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
ogden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't think the bubbles are bad. My remora skimmer will produce a lot of micro bubbles after I feed my fish. It eventually goes away, I don't see how it could harm anything.
Hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Im no expert, but I believe some coral are sensative to micro bubbles... I dont think it really bothers the fish too much.

The are bubbles from my hob filter for my nano fowlr tank and it's been over a year and everything seems fine.
TygGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like Tyger, i'm no expert, but I've read several reputable sources taht state corals are very very sensitive to being exposed to any open air, bubbles included.
Fish will be fine...just the corals are damaged. The same might be true of anenomes, but you're a long ways away from having one of those.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I dont think bubble will bother the corals or fish, unless you have sponges in the tank than of course they can not be exposed to air or bubbles.
I think the biggest problem with bubbles is salt creep.

Look's Like A Butterfly & Stings Like A Bee!!
specialk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Remember....the ocean is not a stagnat pool of water. It is constantly churning creating lots and lots of bubbles. Fish and corals shouldn't be bothered by this unless the bubbles are attaching to the coral surface and building up. In the ocean bubbles that becomre attached are usually knocked free from the current eventually.
fireman26m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have read that starfish are very sensitive to air exposure.

Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote

bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com