are clownfish THIS aggressive?..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 ocellaris clownfish, one is bigger than the other. They were both males and in the beginning, when the bigger clownfish would bump the smaller clownfish, he'd fight back and looked agitated but he's given that up and just goes sideways and twitches. That means he's letting the bigger clown know that he accepts that he's the dominant one right?

Anyway, I think they're becoming a pair. Every morning before school i check up on them to find that the bigger clown is still sleeping (either on the floor of the tank or sideways on the glass) and the smaller clown just examines him (or her, i don't know how long it takes for the gender change), Anyways, the bigger clown would bump the smaller clown every once in a while but today when i got home, she seemed more aggressive, darting through the tank to hit em, making him do the sideways twitch. He (or she haha) would only hit the smaller clown when he was close but now it goes out of its way to hit him. Oh and there are brown diatoms barely appearing. Could that have something to do with it?

is this a new tank?Diatoms is part of the tank cycle,the aggression part will cease soon,the twitching is showing the female that he accepts she is the dominant one,You will soon see them swimming and sleeping everwhere together,get them a small terracotta pot to host and sleep in,give it 6 months in the right conditions and you can start the breeding process.

Yeah its a new tank. It's already cycled though and all ammonia and nitrite are at 0. As for the diatoms i Think it's cause I left the blinds open when I went to school. The light from outside gave me algae on my rocks. And you're right:] they still sleep together and already chose their spot in the tank by the live rock that looks like it's growing a reef?

Back
Top Bottom