Are microbubbles a bad thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are microbubbles a bad thing? Or just an eye sore? Since I just removed the majority of my bio balls, added 2 sheets of filter sock material to my filter basket & put live rock in my sump, I've got micro bubbles. Which I usually get if my sump level is off & the pump isn't completely submerged. It should be alright now. Urrrgh. Just trying to work out the kinks in this used tank I got this past Saturday (w/ stock & all, just basically moved it).

Mainly an eyesore, but could contribute to a film buildup on the water surface which decreases oxygenation. Other than that, I don't know.

Microbubbles are loud and can lead to salt creep. It sounds in your case that you might want to look into an automatic top off system to keep the issue from happening to begin with. There are DIY ones out there, as it is basically a fancy float switch, but I was lazy and bought one for 50 bucks with an aqualifter pump, which is 15. Put it together with some airline tubing and I just use distilled water from walmart to keep the water level up.

Microbubbles are loud and can lead to salt creep. It sounds in your case that you might want to look into an automatic top off system to keep the issue from happening to begin with. There are DIY ones out there, as it is basically a fancy float switch, but I was lazy and bought one for 50 bucks with an aqualifter pump, which is 15. Put it together with some airline tubing and I just use distilled water from walmart to keep the water level up.

Oh, ok! Thks!! The salt creep issue makes sense to me. The micro bubbles have mysteriously stopped. May've been the Protein Skimmer. pH was low on my tank when I moved it. We concluded it was the previous owners topping it off w/ distilled water. The pH has come back up nicely doing only SW changes. I haven't been in a position to have to top it off as I've just been doing PWCs daily. I've heard just mix a teeny lil bit of salt into the distilled water to prevent the pH drop & it shouldn't whack out the salinity.

Back
Top Bottom