Are These Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saulsilver1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tanks is just about a month old and I was wondering if these are diatoms in the picture or if it's another type of algae as I've looked at pictures and I can not tell.

It's growing on the base rock, sand and there is some brown algae growing on the glass as well as the power head.

img0619m.jpg

img0620bz.jpg
img0622y.jpg
img0623dq.jpg

img0619m.jpg

most likely, it usually disappears in a month or so but if you can't wait that long, there are a lot of fish, shrimp or snails that eat it

Looks like it to me. It usually goes away in time. Nassarius snails will clean up the sand bed and they are good for a CUC.

Hey thanks guys. I went to my lfs and bought some snails for my cuc. I bought one turbo snail and two nassarius snails.

I have a twenty gallon long, how many snails should I shoot for in a good cuc?

saulsilver1 said:
Hey thanks guys. I went to my lfs and bought some snails for my cuc. I bought one turbo snail and two nassarius snails.

I have a twenty gallon long, how many snails should I shoot for in a good cuc?

I would recommend 5-10. If you get Onyx Nassarius snails, which eat algae too, you can get more than 10.

Ok, cool. I'll probably pick a few more up then tomorrow or Tuesday.

The other two Nassarius snails that I picked up yesterday haven't done anything but bury themselves in the sand.

One has been moving in the sand, but just around a sea shell, the big white one in the last picture in the op.

The other just buried himself right away and then buried himself further over night.

+1. If there is no food they will die. And nassarius bury themselves in the sand. It's what they do. They clean it

+1. If there is no food they will die. And nassarius bury themselves in the sand. It's what they do. They clean it

I'm sure they do, but I've read accounts of some Nassarius snails coming out when feeding time arrives. That's why I was asking.

And I'll wait to get any more Nassarius snails, if I even choose to get more, and certainly they eat more then diatoms correct?

In peoples experience, what's the best snail for eating algae? I enjoy my turbo snail but his poop looks like there is a mice in my tank leaving droppings for me.

Is snail poop harmless? I've read some threads were people suggest siphoning it out, and others say that snail poop is relatively harmless and has essentially no nutrients that leach out of it at all.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm learning a lot!

Turbo snails by far eat the most algae imo but pound for pound I am a big fan of the nassarius

Back
Top Bottom