Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are these safe for my tank??

OK, me and my wife want some more stock in our tank!! Are any of these a bad idea?
We have a 56gal corner tank with about 40lbs of rock! Fish include a cinnamon clown, "nemo" clown, and a white damsel of some kind. All there are fairly small. And some snails and crabs!

Here is what were unsure of (we are putting a yellow tang or a copper band butterflyas one) are these ok to go with the above listed?? Fox Face, and Banggai Cardinal. So i guess the real Question is will the addition of the 3 we want (fox face, cardinal, and tang be too much for my tank???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2529.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	15798  

Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
The yellow tang won't fit in a tank that size. They are active fish and need a lot of room to swim. Most fox face are recommended for between 70-100g as well. The can get quite large but it will depend on which kind of fox face you are looking at. Banggai cardinals will work for your tank but i'm not sure how the damsel will treat them once they are in there. Most damsels are quite aggressive. Copperbands don't need a big tank as far as space goes but they get most of their food of off live rock and such. They can be delacate fish to keep. I don't know what your level of experience is but most people recommend them for an advanced hobbiest. I hope this isn't coming off as rude. Not trying to make any judgements about you or how you keep your tank. Just giving my opinion on the list.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, are all tangs going to need that much room and are there any fish you can recommend like the tans and butterflys!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think there are any tangs that are going to be real happy in less then around 70 gallons. If your looking for bright and active dwarf angels would be a good choice. I would also look at wrasse. They are another fish that will be active and come in a whole range of different colors and varieties. Sand sifting gobys are not "middle of the tank" kind of fish but they can be fascinating to watch and keep your sand nice and turned up. Pseudochomis/dottyback is another family that will be good for that sized tank but they can be territorial so i would add that last if you choose to do so.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree as well. You may want to consider another semi-aggressive fish seeing that you already have 3 damsels in that tank, and they can bully new more docile fish.
I have a copperband and I am a little worried that he may starve. I have tried many different combos of food and rarely see him eat.
Pat has some good ones that you might like.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey thanks you all are a great help if i get rid of the damsels (i planed on it anyway they were starters) what is tha max you would add to the two exicting clowns. 3 be too many?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

There won't be an easy number of fish we can give you. It depends a lot on the kind of fish you want to keep. Some eat more often or are very messy eaters which will add much more of a bioload then some others. On top of that the amount of fish and bioload is a highly debated topic. Some people go real heavy and others are firm believers in keeping it light. In the end it will depend on your tank in specific and how often you do water changes and all that.

The best way would probably be to look through the link and come back to us with a list of fish you like. Make the list a little large in case some get eliminated for one reason or another and we will be able to help you narrow it down to a good list of your favorites.

Tags
safe, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com