Arranging live rock with base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just put live rock in my new tank. Looks very cool. :D

I will buy some base rock at the LFS this afternoon. How do I arrange a live rock/base rock mixture in the tank? I am assuming that I pile the base rock on the bottom, and then pile the live rock on top to bring it closer to the light. Is this right?

You could do that, but i don't think it really matters where you put the base rock....its really up to you and how well it looks :wink:

I will be doing much the same thing myself, setting up a 135G tank. I already have 120 Lbs of base rock which I will use at the bottom. Remember, the rock at the very base will have little if anything Live on it as it will be covered by the rock on top. The LR at the top will seed the base until all areas that can support life, is doing so. I plan to use about 40 Lbs of LR to start with and then add more if need be. As mentioned above, your aquascaping does play into this. As I am setting up a new tank, I plan to do some dry runs with the base rock before adding anything to the tank. but if you buy the Base Rock, you can do this outside the tank too if you use a template of the tank to fool around with. HTH. 8)

Back
Top Bottom