ARRGGG!!! my sand is what color??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podman1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey i was wondering if anyone can tell me why my sand (crushed coral,substrate) i put in my 75gal saltwater is turning brown i have no fish in my tank yet its only been up 3 or 4 weeks i have live rock and live sand (supposedly) in there and all of a sudden it is turning brown???

Most likely it's diatoms. They are pretty normal for a new tank. They should go away as the tank matures and water quality improves.

I agree, diatoms. You may want to rethink the CC mixed with sand. I did the same thing and in about 3 months decided I couldn't stand the CC. I had to take out the CC and used a sifter to sift out the sand from the CC, WITH fish and rock in the tank.

Yes, it's normal. i went through it and freaked out just as you did because I thought the tank was crashing. It happens to most people. Especially new tanks. No worries, it will go away.

James

I`m not Scott but The CC is bigger and heavier and will trap debris and waste and cause higher nitrates. It needs to be cleaned more often while sand can be taken care of by a clean up crew. The sand will eventually work it`s way to the bottom leaving the CC at the top.

I`m not Scott but The CC is bigger and heavier and will trap debris and waste and cause higher nitrates. It needs to be cleaned more often while sand can be taken care of by a clean up crew. The sand will eventually work it`s way to the bottom leaving the CC at the top.

Out of curiosity, how long does it take for the sand to work it's way to the bottom? If this happens over a period of a few months, could'nt the CC be easily removed?

Mike hit the nail on the head and it got hard to clean.
Chisel, It's not as easy as you think, trust me. I guess you could try to vacuum it up, once it was all (but not all of it moves to the top either) on the top.

Back
Top Bottom