artificial decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxmulder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello!

I'm planing to start a new FO tank to host some not reef safe fish. I don't want to use live rock in the display tank as it is hard to care for (I will put some in the sump for filtration).

I came across Instant Reef artificial decorations. Their website sounds good but I was wondering if anyone has actually used their products in a FO tank. How do they really look? Are they really ok for the fish?

Please, if anyone used them, let me know. The pictures there look ok.

Or any other ideas of what I could use in the display instead of live rock?

Thanks!

I don't know where you heard its hard to care for live rock but its actually the complete opposite. Just put the rock in and leave it. I've heard the fake stuff can be worse but I don't use it so I can't say. Live rock, while more expensive than the fake stuff, reqiures very little attention and is very beneificial to the filtration of your tank. You may want to reconsider. JMO

Not recommended. Some fish will nip on it although I have ONE fake plant in my reef... but its for hiding purposes. Its in back hid by the rock

I too would like to know why you want to stat away from Live Rock, just curious. Why bother with fake that (from what I hear) algae loves to cling to and will end up looking nasty, when you can go for the real thing. Depending where you buy your LR and fake decorations, it may not be a cost issue.

I have another tank (40g) with live rock and it always gets full of algae. No matter what I do. And it is very difficult to clean (actually I've never managed to clean it completly). Then it gets full of algae again and again (even if my nitrates/phos are ok).

The artificial decor can be bleached from time to time to keep it algae free. It is much more easy to take out and clean... no worries about falling rocks, re-positioning etc.Also, i hear that if you have no inverts/LR you can use anti algae additives in the tank.

Tried everything. Maybe I have high disolved organics... or maybe my lights are not ok... someone told me to put more curent (which I did) ... still I couldn't fix it (for 2 years I've tried).

Decided to find some good artificial decorations:) Please, if you know any good ones...

Back
Top Bottom