At my witts end...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a terrible algae outbreak that i cant stop... my water is clear and i have been doing 10% pwc 3 days in a row and it wont go away... any help please.

ForumRunner_20120223_110935.jpg

ForumRunner_20120223_110922.jpg

ForumRunner_20120223_110951.jpg

Nitrates-40
Nitrites-0
Alk-200
Ph-8.0
Salinity-1.028 gotta top off with ro
Ammonia-1.0 just removed some lr last night to make room to clean and set up my nano

how old are your bulbs? what are your nitrate and phosphate levels? are you using ro/di water or tap water? if you are using ro/di what is the tds coming out?

NyteGTI said:
how old is this tank? what kind of CUC do you have?

Tank is about 4 months old. I was misinformed and was told to wait 6 mo for a cuc. Now ive been told its too late... i really don't wanna tear the tank down....

bavass said:
how old are your bulbs? what are your nitrate and phosphate levels? are you using ro/di water or tap water? if you are using ro/di what is the tds coming out?

Bulbs are a month old. Params listed im using ro from my buddies lfs

Nitrates could be a lot lower. It's not too late to add CUC. Limit feedings and lights and you can resolve the problem.

I think Erik meant feedings.... but also that 1ppm ammonia scares me, how much LR did you take out, start doing PWCs to get that ammo down.

& x2 on the CUC it's never too late your tank is still very young

NyteGTI said:
I think Erik meant feedings.... but also that 1ppm ammonia scares me, how much LR did you take out, start doing PWCs to get that ammo down.

& x2 on the CUC it's never too late your tank is still very young

I only have a pair of clowns. I feed a small pinch every other day. Being that my basment has lights should i just leave the tank lights off for a few days?

Good chance your canister filter is the cause. They can become nitrate factories if not constantly cleaned. I had one been in garage for about 2 years now!

bavass said:
Good chance your canister filter is the cause. They can become nitrate factories if not constantly cleaned. I had one been in garage for about 2 years now!

Im gonna clean it it every other week. How should i go about cleaning it? Replace floss filter and rinse carbon? In my fluval in my nano i have carbon on bottom, LR in the middle, and filter floss on top. How do i clean or replace? I used to just rinse all my other filters on my fw but i know there are some tbings u wanna keep in the media.

that is cyanobacteria. Crabs and snails aren't going to do anything. Clean up crews are completely unnecessary. I would spend the money on salt and keep a water change regimen going. It's definitely not going to go away in a week.

mr_X said:
that is cyanobacteria. Crabs and snails aren't going to do anything. Clean up crews are completely unnecessary. I would spend the money on salt and keep a water change regimen going. It's definitely not going to go away in a week.

Should i move my clowns to my nano? Scrub/scrape all the algae off and start water changes like crazy?

mr_X said:

Or get a chemical that will kill it?

You need to get the ammonia down as fast as you can. I would do large water changes like bavass did. If you have a suitable tank available for the clowns, yes, I would remove them.

mr_X said:
You need to get the ammonia down as fast as you can. I would do large water changes like bavass did. If you have a suitable tank available for the clowns, yes, I would remove them.

K. All i have in the tank is 2 clowns and a start fish. The only tank i have up and cycled is my ten gal nano. Theyd only be there a day or two.

ForumRunner_20120223_173929.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120223_173824.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120223_173824.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom