Atelomycterus Marmoratus (pup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GATANKGUY706

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear AA community I recently hatched a coral catshark pup & need some advice from the community or those that has raised them from eggs. After 3 days i attempted to give it some squid & it took it and swimmed around with it and spit it out. I tried today & it had no interest in the food. I've tried squid, shrimp, & silversides. I also have tried to feed it after lights are off. The pup is only 4 days old. Hatched with no yolksac attached & I really would hate to lose it so any advice is appreciated.

Atelomycterus Marmoratus ( pup)

Her are a couple of pics of the young pup.

Attachments

• 20180418_181934.jpg
    20180418_181934.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 20180418_181844_Burst01.jpg
    20180418_181844_Burst01.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 291
It will want to eat ‘live’ food. Find a way to make it wiggle. Even some fishing line if needed.

I've tried dangling food in front of it. It would take it sometimes but only spit it back out afterwards. I'm going to try when lights are off again tonight. Thanks for the advice though.

Just make sure to remove Amy uneaten food.
Try not to get too worked up about it. It can take several days for a newborn shark to eat. Really depends on how long it takes to deplete the nutrients it consumed while still in the egg sack. Can be days, maybe even weeks.

Just make sure to remove Amy uneaten food.
Try not to get too worked up about it. It can take several days for a newborn shark to eat. Really depends on how long it takes to deplete the nutrients it consumed while still in the egg sack. Can be days, maybe even weeks.

Thanks once again for the info & I'll just keep trying. Even though the pup hasn't eaten still looks healthy & active.

Does it have to be or is it supposed to still be in the net ?
I would think not myself but absolutely no knowledge of this process.

Does it have to be or is it supposed to still be in the net ?
I would think not myself but absolutely no knowledge of this process.

Yes for now (1) have to get it eat & on a regular basis. (2) I have a snowflake eel that is 12"- 14" that probably would eat the pup at this size. Have nowhere to put the eel at this time.

Atelomycterus Marmoratus ( pup)

Coral catshark pup will be 2wks tomorrow. Pup is eating well & started eating 4 days after hatching.. Shrimp is the choice of food.

Yay!!!! Glad to hear it is eating now. I been wondering how it was doing. It’ll grow fast now. Post pics soon. ?

Yay!!!! Glad to hear it is eating now. I been wondering how it was doing. It’ll grow fast now. Post pics soon. ��

Thanks ZigZag !!! The pup has grown 1/2" & readily accepts the shrimp. Even searches for it when I drop it inside basket. Here are some pics after feeding. I have a video. Can you upload videos on this site AA ?

Attachments

• 20180503_002321.jpg
    20180503_002321.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20180503_003150.jpg
    20180503_003150.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 212
  • 20180503_004001.jpg
    20180503_004001.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 187
Thanks ZigZag !!! The pup has grown 1/2" & readily accepts the shrimp. Even searches for it when I drop it inside basket. Here are some pics after feeding. I have a video. Can you upload videos on this site AA ?
Glad to hear things are going well. I've been on the road the past month so I haven't been online much. Shrimp was a good choice but I would try a few times to get some other foods into him as well. Maybe try a clam on a half shell or if you can get some fish roe as well. You don't want the shark to become set on only one food. It's going to be a trial and error effort for a bit so don't get disappointed if it doesn't eat the other foods right away. Just keep trying. In the long run, more variety will lead to better nutrition all around. (y)

Glad to hear things are going well. I've been on the road the past month so I haven't been online much. Shrimp was a good choice but I would try a few times to get some other foods into him as well. Maybe try a clam on a half shell or if you can get some fish roe as well. You don't want the shark to become set on only one food. It's going to be a trial and error effort for a bit so don't get disappointed if it doesn't eat the other foods right away. Just keep trying. In the long run, more variety will lead to better nutrition all around. (y)

Thanks Andy for the info!!! I tried squid & silversides a day ago with no luck. I will take your advice and make a good effort to get the pup to eat other foods. :)

I too was going to say that fish like a variety. I'm glad everything is doing ok.

It was about eight or nine years ago when I had it. It was doing fine. Growing fast. It was 14 or 15 inches long. Very healthy. But back then I was work in construction and work got slow so I sold tank and fish. I’ve just recently got back into it. I have two tanks up now. A 55g and a 75g. No shark ? yet.

It was about eight or nine years ago when I had it. It was doing fine. Growing fast. It was 14 or 15 inches long. Very healthy. But back then I was work in construction and work got slow so I sold tank and fish. I’ve just recently got back into it. I have two tanks up now. A 55g and a 75g. No shark ? yet.
Okay. I was actually curious about GATANKGUY706 's Shark pup. Haven't heard about it for a while. ;)

Back
Top Bottom