Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

What you want determines what you need.

If you want all the ammonia and nitrites gone from the water, bacteria in the water coloum, as provided by these cycling additives, will do just that. A good idea if you've already added fish to an uncycled tank and levels are rising to toxic amounts.

If you want bacteria to get established on the rock, sand and other surfaces, you need to feed them ammonia and nitrite via the water coloum. Adding cycling additives will take away that food source and slow the growth of benificial bacteria on the surfaces, stagnating the true cycle.

If you are starting with nothing but dry rocks, and you want to boost the cycle, filling a bucket with the new rocks, topping with water and then adding a bottle of cycling additive and leaving it for a day or so, should create the start of a nice BB colony. then put the rocks into the tank.

Let 'what you want' deternine your actions. don't be fooled by test results.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How log does a fish in cycle take . I didn't know about cycling before putting fish in when I started

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

With my fish less cycle, used live rock & sand with ro water and all in all took around 4 weeks, but left it for another week after first test that showed all good results.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
How log does a fish in cycle take . I didn't know about cycling before putting fish in when I started
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

A normal fishless cycle can take 6-8 weeks if no Live rock is used, less time with more LR. And that is with a very high amount of nitrogen (4ppm ammonia) in the tank. Ammonia and nitrite go to lethal levels. A very hardy BB colony is formed and adding fish can be done quicker once its complete. A fish in cycle has MUCH lower amonia and nitrite levels so as to not kill the fish. A much weaker BB colony is INITIALLY formed. Every time you add any amount of fish, a small mini cycle will occur as the BB colony needs to increase with the increased bio load. It's slower going, but if you can't rehouse the poor fish (it hurts them) keep a close eye on levels. If ammonia or nitrite start to climb, then you add the Dr Tims or other cycling additive. They will consume the bad nitrogen and keep levels down. But it will also slow the BB colony process.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't know about fish less cycling til after I started .... Tanks been up about 4 weeks just switched to sand but kept same filter I started with .... I've lost some fish but the rest r ok just did large water change yesterday and lost a guppy
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I lost the guppy tonight it looked ok but it had clamped fin today and then died I'm trying watch them close water was tested and seemed good
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

U better get glasses nitrate is at 0 maybe u are colorblind

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com