Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-04-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Auto shutoff for electric?

I have a pump that I keep in a large vat of fresh water. Every few days I turn the pump on in order to topoff.

I have a large 450 gal setup so I loose alot to evaporation. Also, my sump is in a hotter room than the main so I keep one of the panel complete off the top of the main.

I know it sounds like I should never forget that the pump is running but it has happened and I ended up dropping my salinity to sharply (and minor flood). I work out of my house sometimes so distractions are common.

Anyway, what I am asking is does anyone know of a device that I could set a timer on (say 1 minute) and the electric would cut off after that time?

peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well I suppose your looking for something that will cut the power off after you have turned this devise on after 1 min has elapsed or some set period of time. I figure you could build one using a timed relay switch. http://www.attr.com/x10/a4181.htm This is an example.

Another option would be a digital timmer switch if you coudl deal with the pump running for X period of time every day. You could maybe find some more complex ones that you could program to run every other day or on fixed days of the week.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Go to Home Depot and get a rotary timer switch. They have some that are for minutes and others that can go for a few hours.

I bought one for charging cordless equiptment. I wired the rotary timer to a standard wall outlet and plug in my equiptment as needed. Set the timer and go out dancing. I've been using this set-upfor several years without a problem.

The switch is very inexpensive.
46 gal FOWLR
11lb Live Rock - 40lb Live Sand
ProClear Pro 75 - LR rubble & skimmer in sump
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

auto, electric

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com