Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

baby turbo snails?

I was helping one of my turbo snails up off his back today (using a method that I just realized, literally as I type this, is probably very bad and Im not even going to say what method it is lol... lets just say I wont do it anymore) and since I was in there i was sturring up the sand to get some algae off and low and behold I come accross a tiny little shell about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser that I can only assume is a baby turbo snail. Im not even sure if theres anything in it (i have it set on some rock to see if it moves) but reguardless, it wasnt there to begin with (my sand was just generic non-live sand.) I do have full size turbo snails so I guess if theyre happy they'd make babies right?

Do turbo snails procreate easily? How can I keep this happening so I dont have to buy snails anymore? lol

Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Do you have liverock? Possible that it came in on that. I continue to see things today pop up (two baby nassarius snails, crawling together on the rock last week, even though I've never own nassarius snails before then) 4 years after I've gotten my tank.

I would imagine it came in with the liverock and not as product of your snails procreating. Congrats, regardless.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

FWIW I've noticed those tiny shells in different types of "generic" sand before. As far as the turbos procreating, if it does happen it's not likely to result in any offspring in an aquarium. The conditions just don't allow for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
I would imagine it came in with the liverock
If you do have LR, there is one type of small cerith snail that often hitchhikes in on it that is capable of reproducing in aquariums. HTH
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you have a link or a picture o the cerith that can reproduce? I'm curious as I'm starting to find little ones in my tank at night.....
Old 02-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
Do you have a link or a picture o the cerith that can reproduce?
I can't find anything specific for the cerith, but a search for strombus maculatus will get you some pics and info. Maybe I am confusing them, they are similar looking. HTH

Tags
baby, snail, snails, turbo, turbo snail, turbo snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com