Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Backup return pump a must? Anyone?

I have my quiet one return pump going but I need to take off for a few days and I'm paranoid about something happening to the pump. Should I keep another pump on the side, plumb it with my other pump( with a tee) or plumb it separately and have it running full time? Any suggestions would be great!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not sure how another pump running would work. Wouldn't you have to throttle back the main so that 2 working at the same time wouldn't overload your overflow? In other words, a second pump will increase the return water flow, right?

What's the reason for your paranoia about it stopping on you?

One thing I would recommend to anyone is to have another pump impeller on hand. Of course, that doesn't help going out of town concern. My impeller cracked once and I had to wait for overnight delivery to get another. In the meantime, all in my sump/fuge died of course.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

If I ran two pumps, one fails and I'm still good. Yes it would increase water flow but what else can I do. I can't ask the pregnant wife to plumb it for me if I'm gone!!!lol, not a good idea!! I heard tank temp could drop quick!!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hook a vinyl hose up to a back-up pump and something to clip the hose to the tank top. If something goes bad, tell her the drop it in the tank, clip the hose to the edge, and plug it up (and unplug the bad one).

Can't increasing water flow with overflows not rated for that much water cause a flood? I'm no the tech genius but it sounds like your plan to run a back up 24/7 could be a problem.

Again, whay the concern that it'll stop working?

Put the heater in the main while you're gone too maybe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im just worried about losing everything because of a failed pump, it's a quiet one 6000, someone said they are not to reliable so it's been on my mind lately. I like the backup pump idea however. I think I'll do that, and keep the heaters in the main tank while I'm gone....thanks for that!!

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com