Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bacter Vital To Reduce Nitrite and Ammonia

My tank has been up for now 6 weeks, and regardless of what I do, I cant get ammonia level below .25. My nitrites were also close to zero before, but now they too are at .25.

I have a dogface puffer, pink spotted goby, and 2 clownfish in the tank, and they appear fine, at least for now.

My friend who owns an aquarium store, told me that I should add nitrifying bacteria to the tank, which will take care of the small nitrite spike. He also said to unplug the protein skimmer and remove the chemi-pure bag. I still am clueless as to how to get rid of the ammonia.

My tank is 54g, and I have changed 17 gallons in the last 48 hours. He informed me that the more water changes I do now, the less bacteria in the tank, and the cause of my problems. I also have about 20lbs of live rock in my tank.

I added 1 tsp of the Bacter Vital which I purchased this evening, and it says it will cycle my tank in 3 days, a teaspoon a day for up to 50g.

What else can I do, as water changes right now do not seem to be the answer ?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would add nothing You will have some issues since you need about 30LBS more LR . it should be cured and it may well cause more of a cycle ..It sounds like you are still cycling and have added too many fish all at once ... The puffer is a messy eater therefore you will probably have decaying matter .. Do a larger water change of 20 gallons while there are some benificial bacterias in the H20 colmn most resides with in the LR and LS
The skimmer I would allow to continue running . The dogface really needs to go back they get too big too messy for a 54 unless it is the only fish , and he may well start nipping at other fish ... Right now you are in the middle of a cycle ,and with fish the only thing you can do is the H20 changes ...that you are doing to bring them down ....I know this is not what you were hoping for to say the least but truth be told I think you are going to spiral sooner than later if you dont grab hold of it now .

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You have a pretty big bioload there. I would do as Sadie says and add some more LR and get a good skimmer if you already dont have one.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

I just noticed that one of my pieces of LR, has white stuff all over it, and appears to not be cured.

Is this working against the bacteria that I am adding to the tank to help stabilize it ? I ask because my nitrite levels seemed to dip a little, but not to the point that this Bacter Vital product is supposed to take it, and I am thinking that the uncured rock is offsetting some of the good that I am trying to do.

My wife suggested we remove the LR, scrape that white stuff off, and cure it in a bucket with a powerhead and saltwater at a salinity between 1.023 and 1.025.

Please advise and thanks
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

IT sounds like a sponge ..do you have pics ? You could cure it out side the tank in a bucket that would be fine , however bear in mind the stuff you are adding is likely NOT helping any and may be hurting
Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Is the white stuff soft or Hard? Soft would be a sponge while a hard surface would be some bleached coralline. It will eventually turn back to some color provided your calcium, magnesium and alk are OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 07-09-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Is the white stuff soft or Hard? Soft would be a sponge while a hard surface would be some bleached coralline. It will eventually turn back to some color provided your calcium, magnesium and alk are OK.
the bleached stuff is defintiely hard.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bleached coraline . With out pics I am only guessing ... but it should color up in the right conditions
Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #9

I haven't added any supplements, and have 2 x 20watt 50/50 bulbs. What should I add? The other pcs of LR have a lot of red corraline on them.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

They should turn back to the colors. When exposed to air and parameter changes they will turn white but will shortly turn back as Sadie said under the right conditions.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com