BAD panther grouper help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The coin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Someone suggestions!
Have a tiny baby panther in a 90 gal at the moment. Been In there for a bit. Just introduced a fox face and a BiG velvet damsel. They are bigger than the grouper but he is constantly going after them. Trying to bite etc. I don't want them
To die plz help

you could get the panther out for a couple of days then try re introducing him to the tank... that way the panther is now the newcomer to the tank and hopefully it'll stop attacking....

If that still fails then take him back

Thats a story for another day. The point is that these are aggressive fish and you cant change nature. They will harass your other fish.

Lets back up for a sec. I've seen hundreds of panthers kept with other fish. Even one at my lfs has one with a flame angel that's 1/5th it's size. I've also kept one with a clown fish while be was young. He cannot fit any of these fish in its mouth. Does anyone have any suggestions that would help besides the ones alrdy given

Idlook for tank mates that could stand up to the grouper. Honestly, removing the grouper and letting the new fish settle in is what I would advise. How big is he?

I believe that its because you've introduced other fish to the panther's home and it doesn't really like that. as I said before I believe if you can rip the panther out and setup a mini aquarium for a couple of days with him in there then pop him back into your DP again..... that way the panther would now be the new fish which may stop the fighting.

Ive done this with a yellow tang before. introduced a vampire tang and the yellow practically destroyed it. I ripped the yellow out of the dp and left him alone for a few days in a mini tank... put him back in and no more fighting

Groupers at most 3 inches. The fox face is prob around 4

Panthers are considered "peaceful"
Where have you seen Panther Groupers classified as Peaceful? Groupers are aggressive and territorial. The best bet if you are going to keep it is the idea given to take it out, rearrange the rock, let the others establish their territory for a day or two and reintroduce it. I still think it will end up choosing a new spot and will likely cause the same issues.

As I am sure you know with all of your experience with them, they grow fast and add a tremendous amount to your bioload.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Yeah I had one for about 4 years in a 200 gal. Had to get rid of em. He started in a 90 reef

UPDATE: rearranged rock. Fish
Fought for about 8 hours. Grouper has backed down. Tends to hide
More now. Everything is getting along 100%.

Back
Top Bottom