Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericwm View Post
I would say keep the shark in the 800 and add a ray or another shark, but before that move all other fish to the 200. You could even go smaller than 200 with that plan. I'm sure the shark would hate to lose all of that swimming room.
I wouldnt be putting a fish that gets almost 3 1/2 foot into a 200 gallon tank. I think your best option would be to rehome the other fish and do the 800 as a predator tank. Throw some triggers, maybe a good size lion, a ray etc. you'll still have a beautiful tank.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Do you have a public aquarium near you? I would talk to them about taking the shark from you. It would be nice if they could put it in a giant tank, and then you could replace it with something more suitable. If anything, I would leave it in the 800. definitely not put it in a smaller tank.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with everyone else! Why would you want to take the guy out of your 800 gallon tank? Make the 800 gallon into a cool predator tank and move your other fish into the 200 gallon.

Not to be mean sounding, but didn't you know before getting the shark they will eat your other fish? They are predators and anything in that tank that is not as big as them is pray.

If you really like your Shark and like him greeting you every day, I would keep him in the 800 gallon tank and have an awesome predator tank.

I would go with a few Sting Rays for tank mates and another Cat Shark or Bamboo Shark. With an 800 gallon you can put so much in that would be fine with your Cat Shark that you wouldn't miss any of your small fish in there.

Maybe some Big Groupers like the Spotted Coral Grouper, a BIG Lion Fish, or even a nice sized Eel would go well.

I just think taking him out of the 800 gallon home and into a smaller 200 gallon would be cruel to him. It's one thing if he was put into the 200 gallon from the start, but to go from a 800 gallon to a 200 gallon would suck for him.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to the new ripleys aquarium on the weekend, I'll see if I can talk to someone there about taking him when he gets bigger.

For now I'll just increase his feedings.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He should only get three foot to three and half foot tops! He should be fine in that big of tank! I don't see why you would want to get rid of him!

If you really want to keep him and move him out of the 800 gallon, I would go with at least a 300 wide gallon. They are 96L x 30W x 25T.
Glasscages.com - Online Order Form - 300 Wide Glass Aquarium
Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

so it looks like I'll be building another big tank, this one will be at home in my basement.

In the middle of a basement Reno anyways, lol.

just need to decide what shape tank to do.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to The Trooper
audifusion, that tank looks and sounds great - would you be able to provide any photos of it, 800 gallons is insane!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will post some up, just need to find my camera. Iphone camera messes up the colours
Old 11-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey just noticed you were from Ajax. I'm in Durham region. Did you get to the new Ripleys aquarium? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks.
Where do you shop for supplies and livestock?
I'd love to see pics of the 800 gallon tank!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDrapes View Post
Hey just noticed you were from Ajax. I'm in Durham region. Did you get to the new Ripleys aquarium? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks. Where do you shop for supplies and livestock? I'd love to see pics of the 800 gallon tank!
Saw it last week , it's cool, but wish I would have seen it before visiting the Georgia aquarium earlier in the year, Georgia aq. Is amazing .

Have an acct with a wholesaler in Florida , I pick up stuff off kijiji too, I find a lot of the stuff at big ALS is unhealthy.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com