Bamboo shark eating my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a brown banded bamboo shark in my 800gallon tank and he seems to be eating my smaller fish.

He is about 20" long now, has him almost 2 years.

Should I just find a different tank for him or is there something I can do to get him to stop eating my little fish,

You can't stop a predatory animal from eating smaller animals. If you want tankmates I would advise getting fish that are equally as aggressive.

That's expensive fish food too. Predators will eat what they can get into their mouths...nothing is going to change that.

I just don't want to get rid of him, he's like a dog, greets me every morning when I get to work.

What size tank would be ok for him if I took him out of this one?

Attachments

• image-2119063694.jpg
    image-2119063694.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 251
800 gallons?!?!!??!?!?!?!?? Where did you get that and what are the dimensions? As for the shark, I don't own saltwater, but I assume its the same. If a predatory fish has the opportunity to eat a fish that will fit in his mouth, he will. I would suggest larger, faster fish.

Is this the large L tank in you cyro office or something like that? We haven't seen pics in forever! FTS dude.

ya, I understand the mouth size vs prey size thing, ( just don't abide by it apparently)the latest victim was a valentini puffer. He was pretty cool too, lots of personality, previous victims were half a dozen clown fish and a little naso tang.

Trying to convince the wife into getting a 200 gallon tank for the shark.

Would that be big enough?

I would say keep the shark in the 800 and add a ray or another shark, but before that move all other fish to the 200. You could even go smaller than 200 with that plan. I'm sure the shark would hate to lose all of that swimming room.

I would say keep the shark in the 800 and add a ray or another shark, but before that move all other fish to the 200. You could even go smaller than 200 with that plan. I'm sure the shark would hate to lose all of that swimming room.

I wouldnt be putting a fish that gets almost 3 1/2 foot into a 200 gallon tank. I think your best option would be to rehome the other fish and do the 800 as a predator tank. Throw some triggers, maybe a good size lion, a ray etc. you'll still have a beautiful tank.

Do you have a public aquarium near you? I would talk to them about taking the shark from you. It would be nice if they could put it in a giant tank, and then you could replace it with something more suitable. If anything, I would leave it in the 800. definitely not put it in a smaller tank.

I agree with everyone else! Why would you want to take the guy out of your 800 gallon tank? Make the 800 gallon into a cool predator tank and move your other fish into the 200 gallon.

Not to be mean sounding, but didn't you know before getting the shark they will eat your other fish? They are predators and anything in that tank that is not as big as them is pray.

If you really like your Shark and like him greeting you every day, I would keep him in the 800 gallon tank and have an awesome predator tank.

I would go with a few Sting Rays for tank mates and another Cat Shark or Bamboo Shark. With an 800 gallon you can put so much in that would be fine with your Cat Shark that you wouldn't miss any of your small fish in there.

Maybe some Big Groupers like the Spotted Coral Grouper, a BIG Lion Fish, or even a nice sized Eel would go well.

I just think taking him out of the 800 gallon home and into a smaller 200 gallon would be cruel to him. It's one thing if he was put into the 200 gallon from the start, but to go from a 800 gallon to a 200 gallon would suck for him.

I'm going to the new ripleys aquarium on the weekend, I'll see if I can talk to someone there about taking him when he gets bigger.

For now I'll just increase his feedings.

so it looks like I'll be building another big tank, this one will be at home in my basement.

In the middle of a basement Reno anyways, lol.

just need to decide what shape tank to do.

audifusion, that tank looks and sounds great - would you be able to provide any photos of it, 800 gallons is insane!

I will post some up, just need to find my camera. Iphone camera messes up the colours

Hey just noticed you were from Ajax. I'm in Durham region. Did you get to the new Ripleys aquarium? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks.
Where do you shop for supplies and livestock?
I'd love to see pics of the 800 gallon tank!

Hey just noticed you were from Ajax. I'm in Durham region. Did you get to the new Ripleys aquarium? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks. Where do you shop for supplies and livestock? I'd love to see pics of the 800 gallon tank!

Saw it last week , it's cool, but wish I would have seen it before visiting the Georgia aquarium earlier in the year, Georgia aq. Is amazing .

Have an acct with a wholesaler in Florida , I pick up stuff off kijiji too, I find a lot of the stuff at big ALS is unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom