Banded carshark help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All my levels are good this morning still going to plan a water change looks like I'm going to make it

Go to reefrocks.net for real cheap rock. I think you need 250lbs of rock. Too much will most likely hurt the shark. I've had a banded shark before and they aren't as hard to care for as people make them seem to be. Your #1 problem when you first get one is getting them to eat! Make sure there is 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite!!!! I can't stress this enough! Ammo stays in the lower region and that's where the shark will swim. Don't use test strips, use liquid test kits. A hydrometer will be needed for salt gravity measuring. A Refractometer is recommended but a hydrometer is probably off by a bit not too much to do any harm.

I really wouldnt bet my banded sharks health and well being on a piece of equipment that "may be off a bit"... Especially when refracs are roughly 20-30 bucks online. To the OP, its money well spent

huma-huma said:
I really wouldnt bet my banded sharks health and well being on a piece of equipment that "may be off a bit"... Especially when refracs are roughly 20-30 bucks online. To the OP, its money well spent

I've not seen them for saltwatee at that price. Am I searching the wrong thing? Will any refractometer work? I've seen some for salinity, urine, brewing beer... The salinity ones I find are always $50 or more.

Also, forget the 5g buckets for mixing water. Go out to home depot and get some 30g trash cans. You should get 3. One for mixing water, one for taking water to dump from the tank and one for reserve. Do you have an RO/DI unit to make water because tap water is going to,mess you up big time on your water parameters. Just an observation from a large tank owner, we have a 180g and a 54g.

Bearchumjs said:
I've not seen them for saltwatee at that price. Am I searching the wrong thing? Will any refractometer work? I've seen some for salinity, urine, brewing beer... The salinity ones I find are always $50 or more.

Ebay ;)

huma-huma said:

I'd understand if it was coral but you could acclimate the shark to FW which I don't recommend at all since it will shorten its life, but if it's off by .002-.004 it isnt going to hurt or affect the fish at all. The problem I'm worried about is ammonia and nitrite. He's using test strips which are notorious for being incorrect.

Ibrahim said:
The problem I'm worried about is ammonia and nitrite. He's using test strips which are notorious for being incorrect.

To add to the test strip issue- did they come with the tank? They could be really old. I suggest the saltwater liquid test kit over the refractometer if the fish can indeed with stand a little bit of salinity fluctuations.

I feel so bad for you right now. Having this massive tank dumped on you and trying to save the inhabitants. But once you get everything settle and figured out I am going to be so jealous!

It could be off by more than that, in the same sense it could be accurate. The accuracy of hydrometers isnt my concern, in our hobby (esp sw) our stocklists tend to cost thousands of dollars, so a $30 piece of equipment to add an extra peace of mind is more than worth it

Op where approx do u live? Someone may possibly live near that could help.

huma-huma said:
It could be off by more than that, in the same sense it could be accurate. The accuracy of hydrometers isnt my concern, in our hobby (esp sw) our stocklists tend to cost thousands of dollars, so a $30 piece of equipment to add an extra peace of mind is more than worth it

+1 I agree completely

I live in Idaho, I'm going to order a refractometer tonight I got me a feeder stick so I can try to get the loin and catshark to eat tonite I'm going to the pet store tomarro for a liquid test kit and I'm going to check out reef rock website and get some rock coming I'm going to fix this tank and thank you all for the boost of confidence

Only200 said:
I live in Idaho, I'm going to order a refractometer tonight I got me a feeder stick so I can try to get the loin and catshark to eat tonite I'm going to the pet store tomarro for a liquid test kit and I'm going to check out reef rock website and get some rock coming I'm going to fix this tank and thank you all for the boost of confidence

Good job man, hoping for the best

Only, you are off to a good start and with your positive attitude, you should be ok. We are all always here, so,keep,asking and we will keep answering. Good luck!!!

Frozen silversides work wonders for lions. If hes 8-9 inches long, he more than likely is already used to prepared foods.
Try to get safalert test kit, yes its a bit more but its been shown to be more accurate. As for the questions and problems, keep then coming:)
The sw hobby is something that everyone should experience atleast once in their lives. The fact that you care enough to ask for help and actualy do it right speaks volumes towards how well youre gonna do in the sw world.. Youll be a salty soon enough

Back
Top Bottom