Banded carshark help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another question this tank came with a big 6 foot 4 t12 light has 2 actinic bulbs and 2 daylight the light is intense with what I've read the lion and shark don't like intense light so I put a 4 foot light of my 75. A friend told me with improper lighting I would have high algy growth Witch light should I be using

We have both Volitans and banded sharks at work under EcoTech 120's..... Youll be fine with the t5 setup. Although if you decide not to do corals, you could do stricty ornamental lighting. I have heard of lionfish developing blindness over long periods of time (years) due to intense lighting, however t12's shouldnt be a problem

I do want want some coral but I have a ways to go befor I can and I'm not sure what can mix with what I have but I'm at least 2 months befor I add anything living

Youre gonna need more than t12's to penetrate deep enough to house decent corals. Id go multi-bulb t5ho or led... But of course that time will come

Ok next question brittle stars nucence or beneficial and little red spikey worms friend called it a bristle worm good bad? Hard to get ride of? When I first got the tank there were worms and little stars every where I pulled out another worm tonight but I havnt seen a star for a day or two I think the cow fish eat them. And I finally got the lion to eat turns out it won't eat with the light on (called the guy who gave it to me) still the shark hasn't ate yet

Only200 said:
Ok next question brittle stars nucence or beneficial and little red spikey worms friend called it a bristle worm good bad? Hard to get ride of? When I first got the tank there were worms and little stars every where I pulled out another worm tonight but I havnt seen a star for a day or two I think the cow fish eat them. And I finally got the lion to eat turns out it won't eat with the light on (called the guy who gave it to me) still the shark hasn't ate yet

The stars are beneficial but the worms may be fire worms so google that. The shark probably isn't eating because of the .25 ammonia. Like I said before thats the main problem not the Salt gravity. Do as many PWCs as possible.

if theyre bearded fireworms theyre bad. If theyre a type of bristle worm usually seen theyre ok. And the bearded fireworm is really only bad to gorgonians. So dont kill either. The worms are a great part of your CUC. Same with the stars.

They are fireworms it's not a bearded it said they can sting has anyone been hit by one? And I'm sorry but what is cuc I don't know what that stands for yet.

My skimmer isn't working right what is the best one I could get that sit outside of the sump??

crister13 said:
if theyre bearded fireworms theyre bad. If theyre a type of bristle worm usually seen theyre ok. And the bearded fireworm is really only bad to gorgonians. So dont kill either. The worms are a great part of your CUC. Same with the stars.

They can also eat coral and since it's a shark tank it could scratch the belly of the shark while it's in the sand.

It's either I need a new pump or new air valve I'll get it set up look/working good go to work ill have a cup of foam and it Wont have flow or bubbles then I adjust and i have to readjust in the morn oh might be eorth it to go and buy a new pump it's a hell of a lot cheaper then a new system

Given the responses provided and what seems to be a bit of a worried frantic sense to your posts, im gonna say that your best bet is to possibly find an experienced salty hobbyist near you to take the fish while you gather your bearings and get the tank properly set up. Being as to how its a 250g tank, repeated pwc's are gonna get expensive rather quickly. In order to successfully maintain these fish in a healthy environment, you are gonna need certain tools and gadgets. Those being a refractometer (to measure the SG or "specific gravity" of your saltwater mix, 1.022-1.025 is ideal) a master SW test kit ( stay away from API Nitrate tests) various measuring cups and a few 5g buckets. Now onto the tank. In sw, the optimum lr ratio is 1-2 lbs per gallon.. So obviously thatll put you at 250-500 lbs of lr. Id personally shoot for 375-400..

sorry if this was already addressed but you in no way need 250 lbs of rock thats rediclous. you would be able to get away with 100lbs of rock even. Bacteria does not work that way. It does not need 500lbs of rock to sustain the enviornment and if you put 500lbs of rock in a tank you would have a tank of rock and nothingelse... the bacteria will be there regardless of how much rock you have it will just be more dense. Please please do not waste your money and buy that much rock if you already havent. Also do research online there is plenty of help here but by reading well researched articals you will get accurate knowledge and not responses like this and some of the others iv seen such as these fishyou have are for experts only when i lion fish is one of the simplest fish to care for and if you want to take care of these fish then doing the research will allow you to. there are many over conserned people on these sites and will jump the gun and say "You cant do that because of xyz" and while yes there are some nice guidlines online not everything is 100% true. I was told when I was designing my current 75g tank that "I couldnt have a tank without sand and 150lbs worth of rocks" Well every single person who told me that was wrong and I have one of the best tanks iv ever made because I went bare bottom and I have less then 75lbs of rock in my tank. These things allow me to keep the tank cleaner then I ever could if i had a sandbed and 50 more lbs of rock.

Lmao so your logic is that 100 lbs will have just as much BB as 250 lbs, just itll be more dense?? LMAO!! l to the OP, in the sw world mist things arent set in stone, BUT there are tendencies and practices that have been proven to work. That being said, the 1-3 lbs per gallon is one of them. Its been proven time and time again. So when i stated it to you, i already knew of its positive reason... Please dont listen to this dude. Sure your 250 might actually run well with 100 lbs of live rock, but i can tell you that it cant handle the same bioload as efficiently as 250 lbs... Theres no "more dense" or something crazy like that... So please think about it before jumping to conclusions. Oh and 100lbs of lr in a 250g tank is gonna look absolutely empty.

huma-huma said:
Lmao so your logic is that 100 lbs will have just as much BB as 250 lbs, just itll be more dense?? LMAO!! l to the OP, in the sw world mist things arent set in stone, BUT there are tendencies and practices that have been proven to work. That being said, the 1-3 lbs per gallon is one of them. Its been proven time and time again. So when i stated it to you, i already knew of its positive reason... Please dont listen to this dude. Sure your 250 might actually run well with 100 lbs of live rock, but i can tell you that it cant handle the same bioload as efficiently as 250 lbs... Theres no "more dense" or something crazy like that... So please think about it before jumping to conclusions. Oh and 100lbs of lr in a 250g tank is gonna look absolutely empty.

It's actually true. Say there are as an example i.e an analogy, 1 BB for every 1ppm ammonia a fish makes a day. So let's say a shark produces 3ppm of ammonia a day, there has to be 3 BB in order to consume the ammonia the shark produces and convert it to nitrites. And let's say that produces 3 nitrites. So there has to be 3 BB (2) in order to convert that into nitrates. In this case BB is beneficial bacteria that turns Ammo into Nitrite and BB (2) is beneficial bacteria that turns nitrite into nitrates. It seems confusing but what I'm trying to say is there is a balance in how much bacteria there is in a system. If there is not enough it will multiply till there is enough (which is what a cycle is for) or if there if there is too much bacteria then some will die off so that it can create an ammonia spike for the other bacteria to feed on. Which is why whenever you add live rock, some bacteria dies and creates an ammonia spike. My point is there is the same amount of bacteria in 100lbs as there are in 250lbs because if there is not enough fish to produce ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, it will die off till there is a balance. BUT, you can not stock as much fish with 100lbs as you can with 250lbs because 250lbs has more space to hold bacteria. And 100lbs can still fill the tank up. It it just create the illusion that there's more rock by making towers and caves using rods or putty.

Ibrahim said:
It's actually true. Say there are as an example i.e an analogy, 1 BB for every 1ppm ammonia a fish makes a day. So let's say a shark produces 3ppm of ammonia a day, there has to be 3 BB in order to consume the ammonia the shark produces and convert it to nitrites. And let's say that produces 3 nitrites. So there has to be 3 BB (2) in order to convert that into nitrates. In this case BB is beneficial bacteria that turns Ammo into Nitrite and BB (2) is beneficial bacteria that turns nitrite into nitrates. It seems confusing but what I'm trying to say is there is a balance in how much bacteria there is in a system. If there is not enough it will multiply till there is enough (which is what a cycle is for) or if there if there is too much bacteria then some will die off so that it can create an ammonia spike for the other bacteria to feed on. Which is why whenever you add live rock, some bacteria dies and creates an ammonia spike. My point is there is the same amount of bacteria in 100lbs as there are in 250lbs because if there is not enough fish to produce ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, it will die off till there is a balance. BUT, you can not stock as much fish with 100lbs as you can with 250lbs because 250lbs has more space to hold bacteria. And 100lbs can still fill the tank up. It it just create the illusion that there's more rock by making towers and caves using rods or putty.

I agree with your logic.

I agree in te aspect that 100 lbs could probably house the current stock list, BUT as you stated, 100lbs will not support nearly the same livestock as 250lbs will. So why on earth woukd te OP go with 100 lbs in a 250g tank?? He would never be able to fully stock it

huma-huma said:
I agree in te aspect that 100 lbs could probably house the current stock list, BUT as you stated, 100lbs will not support nearly the same livestock as 250lbs will. So why on earth woukd te OP go with 100 lbs in a 250g tank?? He would never be able to fully stock it

Yes I did say that, but a shark could hurt it self If there was 250lbs of rock in the tank. 150lbs what I'd recommend for his tank. He could fully stock it because it would have enough surface area for bacteria. The tank area also plays a part in stocking. That's one of the main factors.

Back
Top Bottom