Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
Im not attempting to argue, just dont want the OP being misled.
Yep I know. Just clearing up some confusion that might have come about from the previous couple posts.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with both sides I do understand the ammonia nitrites and nitrate part (I've been doing freashwater for years I'm sure that part is the same) as for the rock I still plan on buying 250lbs I want to be able to make a cave for the shark and lion as for me adding more fish I havnt found any that would really work with what I have that I like (but I won't be adding anything for a while) the dimension of my tank is 24"x24"96" with a center overflow. The tank has been up and running with the fish for about a year with 50lbs of rock I havnt order rock because of price I didn't exspect it to be that much and I have to wait untell I can. But as for now my main issue is I have too many micro bubbles in my sump, I'm pushing a small amount into my tank I'm thinking of making my old 50gal tank into my new sump trying to figur out what planes are best for a home made sump and what I can do to lower my bubbles in the one I have now thank you all

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would suggest adding dry rock, no ammonia spike from die off and MUCH cheaper.

If you want to make caves, look at bulkreefsupply. Check out their dry tonga shelf rock, I ordered 50 pounds and got 2 huge shelf pieces that make great over-hangs and a lot of surface area for the much debated bacteria to grow. Very happy with that purchase.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Order from reefrocks.net they've got some shelf rock and base rock. 85 dollars per 50 pounds which is the cheapest you'll find online. But believe me, 150-200lbs will be enough bacteria wise. And you could make an awesome cave in the middle of the tank with a few cool over hangs. It wouldn't matter if a 10g had 30lbs of rock because you wouldn't be able to add more fish just because you've got alot of rock. So I'd order 50lbs at a time till you're happy with what you've got.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm starting to research fish/coral for my tank (not going to buy now just trying to build a game plan) and I'm having a problem finding fish that will mix my lfs just got in a Harlequin tusk fish the bio said that other fish would leave it be but doesn't say size it's $85 would my lion eat it? So I'm asking everyone for ideas I would like some coral but I have a box fish my lfs has a lot of little fish that won't work with the Lion and I know shrimp and crabs will get ate. So if anyone has some advise I would appreciate it I'm thinking I should be ready in about a month to start stocking
Old 09-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

The harlequin tusk fish can grow up to 10" or so. They are so pretty! It would add some color to your tank for sure. And if it's $85 that's probably a good deal. Live aquaria has them starting at $189.99.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...380&pcatid=380
Old 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Regular

My worry is will the lion eat it that would be a pretty expensive diner
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only200
My worry is will the lion eat it that would be a pretty expensive diner
Yeah... I don't know if it would or not.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its bigger than its mouth you're good. The harlequin tusk is by far my favorite fish
Old 09-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are they hard to care for any special needs. It says meaty diet does that mean silversides or brine shrimp these might be considered dumb questions but I always thought the best answers come from those who have first hand experience this one is about 3 1/2 to 4 inch

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com