Banded Cat Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meola

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some opinions on setting up a shark tank. I have the opportunity to get a 180g 24x24x72 reef tank very cheap. I have read what I can find about the sharks that are available from petsolutions and Fosters&Smith and I see my tank meets the minimum requirements.

I have a few years of salt experience having both a reef setup and predator tank. I have the space available and getting this tank would be a grand finale so to speak (mainly because I would have no more room in the house)

So if anyone has first hand experience or opinions on this species or any of the smaller types of sharks I would greatly appreciate it

180g would be a grow-out size tank and would need to be upgraded in the comin years. Assuming we are speaking of the same Banded Cat Shark, Chiloscyllium punctatum, they can attain 3ft. so you should provide a living space where it can easily maneuver without hitting the sides of your display. Length and width are more important than the height of its confines, so somewhere in the neighborhood of 500g is a reasonable estimate for long-term care. A smaller species of "Banded Cat Shark" is the Gray Bamboo Shark, Chiloscyllium griseum, and would need an estimated 300g for long-term care. Do realize these are bare minimums.

i find it really unfair to keep such a big animal in such small confines. the bare minimum for a human is jail-cell size. not a pleasant way to live out your life. jmo.

Thanks for the response. I will look for a much smaller species that is available or just scrap the idea and search for a much larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom