Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Base Rock

I want to set up a 45 gal. tank as a FOWLR. I really dont have the $$$$ for 50 or so lbs. of LR so I was wondering if I could buy 25lbs. LR and seed 25lbs. base rock with that 25lbs LR? I am brand new to salt water and have no idea. Will NO lighting be fine for this FOWLR tank?

Thanks,
Amber

Old 02-06-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes to both questions.

It will probably be several months before you start seeing coralline algae on the baserock, but a lot of people who can't afford to go with all live rock take the approach you suggested.

NO lighting is fine for a FOWLR... it's when you get into wanting to keep corals that better lighting is required.

HTH

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will see little to no coralline growth w/ N/O lighting, but it wont hurt anything.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #4

What can you use for base rock what is best? Are there some definite "no no's" Will any rock do?

Thanks,
Amber
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

check out www.hirocks.com, good prices and supposedly the quality of rock is real good. I ordered 60 lbs for $85 including shipping it should be getting here any day now. They also sell 30 lb boxes, or if you really want alot of rock a 1 TON box haha.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve
check out www.hirocks.com, good prices and supposedly the quality of rock is real good. I ordered 60 lbs for $85 including shipping it should be getting here any day now. They also sell 30 lb boxes, or if you really want alot of rock a 1 TON box haha.
Let me know what the quality of the rock is please. Also how did you order the rock they didn't have anything on the web site, just directed me to e-bay.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 02-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
have you've gotten your rock from hirocks.com yet? I ordered but got no tracking number or anything like that... how do they ship it?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My rock came UPS and I got it in about 4 days. I am in California so it did not have to travel far. I purchased 3 boxes from them and the quality is great. I just rinsed it off to get the dust off of it and put it in my tank. Great rock for the price. 180 lbs cost me 220 shipped to my door.

I highly recommend it.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
did you get a tracking number though?? I didn't... and it shipped thursday, living in florida so i don't know when I am supposed to expect it
Old 02-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

They shipped it UPS ground and no I did not get a tracking #. I would guess you will have it by Friday but probably not much sooner than that. UPS ground is SLOW from my previous experiences.

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com