base rock to live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
i checked around but i couldnt find a straight answer, if i took a bunch of base rock and put it into a large trash can with some Live rock would it all become live? obviously i would need plenty of water flow and im guessing a steady ammonia source? would this be cost/time effective or should i just go buy some LR. I already have a tank but i want more LR and i also know friends who would buy it from me once it is cured and live. if anyone can give me more detail on what i need to do or give me advice on if its worth it that would be great. thanks in advance.

-andrew-

The answer to all is absolutely. Once cycled BR is LR. Its LR because of the bacteria and nothing else. People are happier if its got color and critters but its the bacteria. You'll be doing what LFS do. It would be covered in coralline algae need lights and more time for it to grow. But it will be live rock. You could just throw BR and an uncooked unseasoned shrimp from the supermarket into a garbage can fill with saltwater and in 6-8 weeks it will have cycled and be LR. You will need power heads to circulate the water. I did this last summer. Took empty tank filled with water from pwc put in ph and left it in yard. Sun provide light for algae growth and br cycled in the fresh air.

do i need a steady ammonia source or will the one shrimp take care of it?

Depending on your LR that you are adding also . If it has some dieoff on it you can use that as the ammonia source. If not then the ole cocktail shrimp will have to dive in. Is your tank already going. If not then add you rock into the tank and cure as you cycle your tank.

Back
Top Bottom