becoming live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have a mix of about 50lbs LR and 50lbs Lace rock. My tank has been up for 9 months now. How long do you think it takes for Lace rock to become live enough to aid in filtration?

Are there signs I could look for?

Is there any way to seed it in order to help it along?

Is it already at that stage?

Howard

How long do you think it takes for Lace rock to become live enough to aid in filtration?

It should already be at that point. You wont really see any outward signs that the live rock has an ample population of bactera on it to aid in the removal of ammonia and nitrite.

Over time and you should slowly start to see it now you will see our lace rock have spots of corline growth on it. Over time the lace rock wll be covered in this purple, red, orange encrusting algae. Worms and pods will start to call the lace rock home helping to remove traped waste and food from the crevices of the rock surface.

When I bought my LR from the LFS three weeks ago, all I could see was valonia and a purplish encrusting algae on it. I can see the purple algae migrating to the base rocks now. :)

But if I did not see any red or orange algae, or worms and pods on the LR when I bought it, what are the chances I will see these things in 9 months?

Look at night after lights out. Worms and pods have preditors and they learn to stay hidden in the day time. Use a flash light to illuminate the tank in seach for these small life forms.

Thanks for the advice fishfreek. My tank is at the office, so I am usually not around when the lights go out.

What about the coralline algae? I would love to have a rainbow of red, orange and purple coralline algae in my tank in the future. Am I stuck with the color I have unless I seed the tank with new LR of the appropriate color?

The way I understand it the different colors of coraline are as much a product of the type/intensity of lighting as it is with having that color seeded within the tank.

Some colors just dont grow well under certin light conditions.

Back
Top Bottom